Setting up your connection

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: Setting up your connection

Postby TheBrew » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby spiderfarm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 am

Ok, I ran through that and it's working. Yay. Here's my question. I need this to work out on the streets all over the world, does this setup mean it will only work when I'm on the home wifi network I just selected in the setup?
spiderfarm

Postby TheBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 am

You'll need to be close to the wireless network yes.

But the solution to that could be to buy a mobile router or use your iPhone/iPad(if it's cellular and the carrier supports it) Personal Hotspot, and log onto that instead.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby spiderfarm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 am

I could go that route, this is just killing me because I've had it working in the past in Ad Hoc mode. Is there anything else I could be missing during the Ad Hoc setup?
spiderfarm

Postby TheBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

You say you also have an iPhone. If it joins the WFT ad-hoc network before the iPad gets the chance, then that's it - the iPad won't be able to join the network. An ad-hoc network can only consist of two devices. Like cans on a string.

At one point an iOS update was the reason for some people having ad-hoc issues. After a couple of iOS revisions the complaints stopped..

In short: Ad-hoc is a "bag of hurt". If you want a stable solution, infrastructure is the way to go.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby spiderfarm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks. Good to know. Sorry to be so dense, but I'm more photographer than computer whiz..(I don't know how that's even possible anymore) If I got a wireless router, would I need to have some kind of data plan for it to work with the infrastructure method, or will it preform the basic function of becoming my network for shuttersnitch without having any connectivity to the outside world? Thanks again for all the help.
spiderfarm

Postby TheBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:22 pm

No need for a data plan no. As long as it can create a network, the transfers will work between the devices. Without a data plan, it just won't offer you an Internet connection.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby spiderfarm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Great. If you've ever used one and have any reccomendation, I'd love the advice.
spiderfarm

Postby TheBrew » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't have any myself, but I know people have D-Link DAP1350 and Aluratek CDM530AM working with ShutterSnitch.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby spiderfarm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Does this product look like it would work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088P ... PDKIKX0DER
I need something battery powered so I'm totally mobile
thanks
spiderfarm

PreviousNext

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi