Setting up your connection

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: Setting up your connection

Postby TheBrew » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:26 am

Thank YOU CP for your guide! :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Field experience

Postby Widphoto » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Brian,

Was not sure where to post this as it spans both my new interest in Canon transmitters as well as my experience with the eye fi card. I just finished an exhausting 4 day shoot of 125GB of images with my Canon system, the ipad and eye-fi transmitters. Under these professional demands, the eye-fi solution broke down, mostly due to buffer writes to the sd card through an adapter (8gig X2, slow sd's). This locked me out of using the camera during critical moments for what seemed an eternity, but was probably a minute or two. Never the less, this is unacceptable for a pro, missing moments and expressions with models. For more modest shooting demands, like scouting locations, the eye-fi cards held up ok, and with my ScottVest, which holds the ipad, I was always close to the camera for transmission and review.

So, I am on to the Canon transmitters and hoping that this would not be the case with them. My ideal workflow would be the following and I hope you could comment on whether it exists in the transmitter world or not..

-improved transmission speeds with Canon transmitters
-no camera lock out for any reason
-continued and uninterrupted transmission of jpgs to ipad, short of power off
-ease of setup and troubleshooting
-stable connections
-direct connect, like the eye-fi
-ability to write jpgs only to ipad
-Canon transmitters that would work with both 5dM2 and 1dsM2

The short of it is, that if I rely on the ipad for my preview and validation of shots taken, I would need one jpg for every file taken on the shoot. This was not possible with the eye-fi as we had to treat it more like a "digital polaroid" switching eye-fi cards out for real CF cards for the actual shoot.

After the production, I need to be able to verify that all setups were recorded, no cf cards were missed and have the ability to show clients selected frames on the ipad. Again, I was not able to do this with the eye-fi cards as all "real" shooting was on the cf cards, and alas no way to get it into the ipad, ie my interest in canon transmitters.

Thanks for your valued opinion in such matters.

Russ
Widphoto

Postby TheBrew » Fri May 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Russ,

I don't have a WFT myself, so I hope someone else can help with your questions - or maybe the earlier posts can answer some of them.

I think most of your concerns will be covered, but there is no WFT for both the 5D Mark II and the 1Ds Mark II. You'd have to get the WFT-E4 II and the (out of production?) WFT-E1 respectively.

The WFT-E4 is able to create its own wireless network, so that should match the Direct Mode feature of the Eye-Fi card. And I'm pretty sure you can also tell it to just transfer a JPEG, not RAWs. The connection is very stable as far as I know.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby peevee » Sun May 22, 2011 12:08 am

Ok, were do I go wrong?

I copied the exact settings of Sunnysix, but my shuttersnitch screen stays black

Then I copied the exact settings from cp, but same here.

Shuttersnitch shows me ip settings: 192.168.1.2 so this should be right. c

light on WFT blinks green, but turns to red 2 sec after clicking the shutter.

with the settings fron cp: it turns to red when focussing.

Can there be a false setting or do i miss something?
Help much apprechiated
peevee

5D Mark II w/WFT-E4aII Success

Postby eyeonlife » Sun May 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I got my 5D Mark II adn WFT-e4aII working successfully using Ad-Hoc Network and had very decent range. iPad was in the house, I was 100+feet away outside and was still receiving images. Large JPG's were about 6 -8 seconds load time. I do not have a jailbreak ipad...
This is using standard WFT-e4aII ad hoc network, standard wireless ipad (no 3g) and Shuttersnitch -- no other app's or breaks...

WFT-e4a settings:
Adhoc Network Settings
Manual on everything...
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
Left the SSID to WFT-Canon security off... I did change it to channel 11

then log onto your iPad... go to network settings and grab WFT-Canon network hit the arrow to go to that networks settings...
under IP address select STATIC
settings:
IP Address 192.168.1.5
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1

Login into Shuttersnitch then a collection watch the info panel make sure it shows 192.168.1.5:26000

back to WFT
FTP server settings
server name 192.168.1.5
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
port 26000
Passive disable
Proxy disable
login name snitch
login pwd (same as shuttersnitch pwd)
Target folder ROOT

Start shooting...Nothing scientific, I went up stairs and down stairs from my iPad with my camera and went outside shooting every 10 ft as I walked into my backyard it caught all the images. I did have to set camera to shoot raw+jpg (i rarely shoot jpg only) TIme did vary by 1 or 2 seconds depending on distance again just playing with it so more scientific approach to follow...

Shooting times...(approx)
L JPG+raw = 7 sec
S JPG+raw = 4 sec
L JPG = 7 sec
S JPG = 4 sec
So unscientifically it appears RAW+ has no effect on time to publish the shot

I will be shooting a job this afternoon and will be testing it in real working conditions...
eyeonlife

Postby HKsnitch » Tue May 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi..

i'm using shuttersnitch, 5dmark2 with WFT-e4IID and ipad2 32 gb wifi..
i already followed the topic, using tcp/ip 192.168.1.2 and try alternative tcp/ip ... changing channel from 11 to 7, but still it doesn't works.
can someone show me how to setup my camera and my ipad so i can transmit the image into my ipad?
any help? i really really appreciate it

cheers :)
HKsnitch

Postby eyeonlife » Tue May 24, 2011 7:11 pm

did you try my steps I posted right above your post?
eyeonlife

Postby HKsnitch » Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 am

Yeesss.. finally it works just perfect :)
I'm using 5DmarkII, WFT-E4IID, Ipad2 32gb wifi and shuttersnitch.

First, i followed the instruction of one of the member....

".... My settings on the WFT Utility:
TCP/IP tab:
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
FTP Setting Tab:
Target Server: 192.168.1.2
Port Number: 26000
Wireless Lan Tab:
SSID: WFT Adhoc (This will come out as the name of the Adhoc Wifi Network)
Connection Method: Ad hoc 11g
Channel: 11
On the Ipad:
Once the WFT is turned on, the Ipad should automatically discover the WFT Adhoc Network thru WIFI.
Go to the settings tab and input on the static IP:
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.2
Wait a while for the connection to set up. The DHCP will eventually change to the same as the static's settings. This has to happen first before continuing to shuttersnitch...."

...after this, i thought it's going to work because the green LED blinking.. but there's no image transfered after several firing the camera...
then i changed my target server using the one from the shuttersnitch (host), mine: 192.168.1.101 and on ipad static ip address: 192.168.1.101... then surpriiiise :) it works perfect...

Thank you eyeonlife, melvin, sunnysix, thank you guys :)
HKsnitch

Re: 5D Mark II w/WFT-E4aII Success

Postby Widphoto » Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 am

eyeonlife wrote:I got my 5D Mark II adn WFT-e4aII working successfully using Ad-Hoc Network and had very decent range. iPad was in the house, I was 100+feet away outside and was still receiving images. Large JPG's were about 6 -8 seconds load time. I do not have a jailbreak ipad...
This is using standard WFT-e4aII ad hoc network, standard wireless ipad (no 3g) and Shuttersnitch -- no other app's or breaks...

WFT-e4a settings:
Adhoc Network Settings
Manual on everything...
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
Left the SSID to WFT-Canon security off... I did change it to channel 11

then log onto your iPad... go to network settings and grab WFT-Canon network hit the arrow to go to that networks settings...
under IP address select STATIC
settings:
IP Address 192.168.1.5
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1

Login into Shuttersnitch then a collection watch the info panel make sure it shows 192.168.1.5:26000

back to WFT
FTP server settings
server name 192.168.1.5
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
port 26000
Passive disable
Proxy disable
login name snitch
login pwd (same as shuttersnitch pwd)
Target folder ROOT

Start shooting...Nothing scientific, I went up stairs and down stairs from my iPad with my camera and went outside shooting every 10 ft as I walked into my backyard it caught all the images. I did have to set camera to shoot raw+jpg (i rarely shoot jpg only) TIme did vary by 1 or 2 seconds depending on distance again just playing with it so more scientific approach to follow...

Shooting times...(approx)
L JPG+raw = 7 sec
S JPG+raw = 4 sec
L JPG = 7 sec
S JPG = 4 sec
So unscientifically it appears RAW+ has no effect on time to publish the shot

I will be shooting a job this afternoon and will be testing it in real working conditions...

Eyeonlife,

Under fast shooting conditions, was the canon transmitter keeping up with the camera? Was the camera hitting its buffer limit and stopping (red light on and steady on back)? Were you able to keep shooting under these conditions, or did it lock you out. With the eye-fi card, write speeds to the sd card are 7 times slower than a 300x CF card, so the 5D locked me out with writes to the SD card, magic moments missed. Thanks for any insights. Russ
Widphoto

Postby GregV » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 am

Just downloaded Shuttersnitch lastnight. I've tried all of these different suggestions to hook-up to my Ipad with my Canon WFT-E42A. Nothing Works!
I have an original Ipad, Canon 5D mark II, WFT-E42A, MyWi and am running ios 4.3.3 on the Ipad. Shuttersnitch gave me an ip of 192.168.2.9 when I first signed in to it. I can't however find that info. again anywhere in the app. Can anyone help me out here? Do you have to use the ip that Shuttersnitch gives you at the beginning? Or can you use any ip. If so, why isn't the 192.168.1.2 working for me like it is some of the other posters? and how do you find the ip that shuttersnitch first suggested?

Thanks
Greg
GregV

PreviousNext

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi