Setting up your connection

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: Setting up your connection

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:41 am

Hi Greg,

The IP address is a very (VERY) important part of getting things to work.

It is the unique id of the device on the network. If you're telling your WFT to transmit to a different IP address then it won't work.

ShutterSnitch is not the one giving out IP addresses, it just reports what IP the device has at the moment. It does this whenever you enter a collection (or when you tap the wrench icon inside a collection and pick "Show listening info").
What IP the device gets is different from setup to setup - so be sure to use yours.

There are 4 key pieces of information you need:

1. The IP address. Which you get by doing what I wrote above. Any other IP will fail.
2. The port. Which you'll also see in the "Show listening info" information - default is 26000.
3. The user name. The default is "snitch" - all lowercase without the quotes (if you didn't change it in the Settings app)
4. The password. Which is the super user password you set when you ran the app for the very first time.

Besides these, there are some standard values and a value that depends on the info above:

* Router/Gateway: is your IP, but instead with a 1 at the end. So if your IP is 192.168.2.9, the router/gateway would be 192.168.2.1
* Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
* DNS: disabled
* Proxy: disabled
* Passive: disabled
* Target folder: root

Hope that helps..!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby GregV » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks,
That was the ticket.
ip on wft is now 192.168.2.20
ip on Ipad is now 192.168.2.9
gateway and router is now 192.168.2.1

Everything is working fine.

I'll be testing it out in the studio today. I typically shoot wireless to my Macbook Pro. But I think this will be a little more flexible. And the battery should last a lot longer than the laptop.

Thanks again,
Greg
GregV

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Good to hear :)

Hope it'll help on the workflow!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby peevee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks TheBrew, Was the ticket for me too.

Working on the damn mofo al evening without getting it to work.

Just copied your setting and back in bussiness.
Can't understand why these things are so complex
peevee

Postby trinity641 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 pm

I just want to say thank you for the information. It is very valuable for me..newbie Lantana Grace Church here and encountering the same situation.
Thanks and keep up the good work..
Last edited by trinity641 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trinity641

Re: 5D Mark II w/WFT-E4aII Success

Postby daveseeley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 am

eyeonlife wrote:I got my 5D Mark II adn WFT-e4aII working successfully using Ad-Hoc Network and had very decent range. iPad was in the house, I was 100+feet away outside and was still receiving images. Large JPG's were about 6 -8 seconds load time. I do not have a jailbreak ipad...
This is using standard WFT-e4aII ad hoc network, standard wireless ipad (no 3g) and Shuttersnitch -- no other app's or breaks...

WFT-e4a settings:
Adhoc Network Settings
Manual on everything...
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
Left the SSID to WFT-Canon security off... I did change it to channel 11

then log onto your iPad... go to network settings and grab WFT-Canon network hit the arrow to go to that networks settings...
under IP address select STATIC
settings:
IP Address 192.168.1.5
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1

Login into Shuttersnitch then a collection watch the info panel make sure it shows 192.168.1.5:26000

back to WFT
FTP server settings
server name 192.168.1.5
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
port 26000
Passive disable
Proxy disable
login name snitch
login pwd (same as shuttersnitch pwd)
Target folder ROOT

I followed this through, and still cannot get images to come across from wft-4 to ipad2... It's possible that my shuttersnitch install is queered because it was set up for eye-fi, and I abandoned that after tons of errors on my 5Dmk2. I turned off the eye-fi tranfers in shuttersnitch settings. The shuttersnitch address on my iPad is 192.168.1.19 I'm assuming that the wft transmitter needs its own distinct address - I used the 192.168.1.2 from this post. I tried the wizard and set the wft to Ad hoc 11g, channel 11, and enabled automatic transfer, disabled transfer with set, and set type size to raw plus jpeg - jpeg only.

WFT-e4a settings:
Adhoc Network Settings
Manual on everything...
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS disabled
Left the SSID to WFT-Canon security off... I did change it to channel 11
server name is 192.168.1.19
DNS disabled
port 26000
Passive disagle
Login name snitch
login pwd (same as shuttersnitch)
target folder root (lower case per the brew from page 8)

iPad2... went to network settings and grab WFT-Canon network hit the arrow to go to that networks settings...
under IP address select STATIC
settings - (to match wft server and shuttersnitch address):
IP Address 192.168.1.19
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1

blinking green on my wft lan light for 12 flashes, then red... error description if I go there in the menu says "cannot connect to ftp server."

Communication mode in the wft setting is FTP trans, not FTP server
In Image sel./transfer, I do show the pictures "failed to transmit"

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong....

Thanks!
dave
daveseeley

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi Dave,

No, there's no problem having both Eye-Fi cards and WFTs transferring to ShutterSnitch at the same time. So that's not it.

Two things:

1. When the WFT is trying to connect, you're inside a collection right? (Best way to be sure, is to go to the Settings app, find ShutterSnitch in the Apps section and enable Multitasking at the bottom, then go into ShutterSnitch and into a collection. ..then you'll be sure that it's running even when you're setting up the network settings in the Settings app)

2. ..I think this is it: You say that you set the Target folder to be root - with lowercase. You shouldn't type "root", it should just be the root-path: "/" ...or leave it blank. (Understandable mistake)

Hope that fixes it for you!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby daveseeley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 pm

TheBrew wrote:Hi Dave,

No, there's no problem having both Eye-Fi cards and WFTs transferring to ShutterSnitch at the same time. So that's not it.

Two things:

1. When the WFT is trying to connect, you're inside a collection right? (Best way to be sure, is to go to the Settings app, find ShutterSnitch in the Apps section and enable Multitasking at the bottom, then go into ShutterSnitch and into a collection. ..then you'll be sure that it's running even when you're setting up the network settings in the Settings app)

2. ..I think this is it: You say that you set the Target folder to be root - with lowercase. You shouldn't type "root", it should just be the root-path: "/" ...or leave it blank. (Understandable mistake)

Hope that fixes it for you!

Bingo!

That did it for me!!!!
Woo hoo...

Brew - nuther question... Can I set up the wft to utilize my studio LAN, rather than Ad hoc, by saving a different set in wft setup on my camera, and then switch back and forth easily - to use the lan when in studio only? And will that be faster than the direct Ad hoc transfer?

So - probably not the right place to say so... but I'm looking forward to the faster speed, high capacity of my fast 16gb complact flash, and reliability (of transfer) of the wft on my 5dmk2 - but - laying out $600 seems steep compared to the the $100 eye-fi 8gb card, and I'd forgotten how much I liked having the form factor of my camera without a battery grip (which I had on my 5d classic before it).
daveseeley

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Good to hear :)

daveseeley wrote:Can I set up the wft to utilize my studio LAN, rather than Ad hoc, by saving a different set in wft setup on my camera, and then switch back and forth easily - to use the lan when in studio only? And will that be faster than the direct Ad hoc transfer?

I don't own a WFT, so I don't know how easy switching back and forth between configurations, but yes you can also set it up to work on the studio WiFi. Only one way to find out :) give it a try.
TheBrew
The Developer

switching LANs when sleeping

Postby daveseeley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

When my camera hybernates... my iPad loses the Ad Hoc connection, and jumps back to my studio LAN, so when I resume shooting, it does not send pictures through until I go to wifi settings, and resellect the Ad Hoc network. I can stop this by telling my iPad to forget my studio LAN... then when my camera begins broadcasting again, my iPad receives automatically. Is there a way to set my iPad to auto-switch back from studio LAN to the Ad Hoc connection when it comes back on line?

Thanks!

Dave
daveseeley

PreviousNext

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi