Setting up your connection

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: Setting up your connection

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Sadly No :(

What you're doing right now is the only way around it.

If I was you I'd see how much of a bother it is to set up two WFT configurations, one that joins the local studio Wifi and one ad-hoc configuration.

And then just use the studio configuration when you're there.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby daveseeley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm

OK-thanks!
daveseeley

Postby daveseeley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Still having problems... At first setup... my flashing green light goes single to double speed as it transmits the first image to my iPad.... then the next - nothing... I check that nothing has changed... I go to wft setup, and it shows as transferring.... I go to ipad, and it sees the canon wft network and no other. I go back in to wft settings, cancel the transferring images, go to setup, and kick around but change nothing... back out in menu, take a shot - it works - for one shot... and back over again. Any idea what is killing me?
daveseeley

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Have you disabled Passive mode on the WFT? (People have had problems with this enabled)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby daveseeley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes... passive mode disabled in FTP server settings. Also, proxy server disabled, overwrite same file enabled, directory structure default, target foler /, login name snitch, pw same as shuttersnitch. Wireless LAN settings, Advanced Settings Ad hoc 11g, channel 11, none encryption, SSID Wft-canon, TCP/IP setting, Manual setting, DNS server disable, IP address 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1, Security blank,

Yesterday, I went ahead and abandoned the wft, and shot my job with a usb cable and Canon Utilities to my laptop... Today, with my card cleared, and with some new picks on it, When I reattached the wft, and turned on shuttersnitch, and took a pic, it transmitted what I assume was the last jpeg in its memory, because that jpeg is no longer on the cf card. Then sent the next pic that I took today... then shot a volley of 10 shots... nothing.. slow flashing green. Went back in to recheck settings, changed nothing, back out, flashing green again, take a pic - transferred, but not the prior 10.... another two single shots come through fine, a volley of twelve comes through fine, Man - its sweet when it's working right.
daveseeley

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Try changing the channel - in case there's too much traffic on 11.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MadDawgJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Dave,
Just to recap the issue here, can you please confirm that the following is correct/answer the following:

1) Wether using an Ad-Hoc network or your studios wifi you have the same issue correct?
2) How far are you usually from the studio's router when trying to transfer?
3) Have you checked Canon's website or support to make sure you have the most update versions of firmware for the 5D and the WFT?
4) Have you tried setting the WFT to transfer to your Mac to see if it transfers fine then or you have the same issue? (If not, please try and let us know what happens if you have the time)
5) You are shooting to a real CF card, and no longer using the CF adapter, correct?
6) When this was happening:

then shot a volley of 10 shots... nothing.. slow flashing green

What was the card access light on the camera doing? (Did it show as busy, etc.) How quickly did you take the volley of shots? (held finger on shutter button, a minute, five minutes, etc.)

Sorry this is taking a while to get a good, reliable set up going for you. You keep running into weird issues, but we'll get it up and running right for you.

-MDJ
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby daveseeley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 pm

MadDawgJ wrote:Dave,
Just to recap the issue here, can you please confirm that the following is correct/answer the following:

1) Wether using an Ad-Hoc network or your studios wifi you have the same issue correct?
2) How far are you usually from the studio's router when trying to transfer?
3) Have you checked Canon's website or support to make sure you have the most update versions of firmware for the 5D and the WFT?
4) Have you tried setting the WFT to transfer to your Mac to see if it transfers fine then or you have the same issue? (If not, please try and let us know what happens if you have the time)
5) You are shooting to a real CF card, and no longer using the CF adapter, correct?
6) When this was happening:

then shot a volley of 10 shots... nothing.. slow flashing green

What was the card access light on the camera doing? (Did it show as busy, etc.) How quickly did you take the volley of shots? (held finger on shutter button, a minute, five minutes, etc.)

Sorry this is taking a while to get a good, reliable set up going for you. You keep running into weird issues, but we'll get it up and running right for you.

-MDJ

Hi MadDawgJ

1) all Ad hoc.. I have not yet tried to arrange a setup over my LAN... trying to get the Ad hoc right first.
2) No Lan, but with Ad hoc, typically only a few feet, as it's me that I want to see the zoomable jpeg...
3) No - I could update the firmware of cam from 2.0.8 to 2.1.1, and wft from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3. Will do this afternoon.
4) No, I have tried no other wft transfers beyond Ad hoc to iPad2.
5) Yes, real high speed CF card = GMonster 533plus 16gb
6) All the actions listed took place simultaneously today... The failed volly was 10 shots at about 1.5 seconds per shot - which is about max what I would do in a live model shoot. I believe that the card access light was slowly flashing, as I waited to no avail for the fast flashing, which I believe indicates a transfer in process.

I've been dealing with this in between trying to get work done for current deadlines, but will post back when I have more good or bad news... At this point, I'd rather stick with the Ad hoc setup to get that right, rather than potentially confusing the issue with trying other connections, or talking to canon utilities... though if I can't get the iPad working flawlessly, I'll try other connections at that point.

Thanks!
daveseeley

Postby daveseeley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 am

OK... updated firmware on cam and wft, and freshly charged batteries. switched on the camera, and iPad, the latter still in the collection it was in prior... snapped three successful pics, at about 5 seconds between... when in to change quality from jpeg high quality to jpeg medium quality, back to shooting, but no transfer - just slow flashing green to show a connection... Another four pics and nothing. I go to check wft settings, but it tells me that transfers are in progress (no quick flashing green)... I put the camera down, a few minutes later it is flashing red... I depress the shutter button, and immediately back to green slow... take a shot, and it DOES come through, but not the shots in between. I shoot a few more... successful. I put the camera down to write the last few lines... it sleeps, and the flashing light is out... I depress the shutter button, and the flashing green slow is back... I take a shot, nothing. green light flashing - wft settings show "transferring" (iPad is two feet away). I check the iPad, and the little airport symbol next to iPad up in the left corner of the header bar is off... but settings still sees the canon network as connected... a few seconds later the airport symbol shows up again when i am back in a collection, but when I take a shot, nothing. The camera sits, and the light goes to flashing red... shutter press = green, take a shot - nothing. wft settings, "transferring" I select cancel transfers... take another shot - nothing. Cancel transfer, and change channel from 11 to auto. Take a shot, nothing. Restart camera, take a shot, nothing. Restart (not reboot) iPad and camera, take a shot - IT WORKS. Another shot works, but the third - nothing. I restart the iPad only... take a shot, nothing. I restart the camera only, take a shot, nothing. Restart both - nothing.

OY - any clues in there?
daveseeley

Postby MadDawgJ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:35 pm

You are not forgotten by the way. We are trying to replicate the issue so that we can see what is going on.
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

PreviousNext

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi