Nikon Z6/7 Infrastructure Mode

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

Nikon Z6/7 Infrastructure Mode

Postby aferguson18 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Hey everyone, I've been using SS with Canon cameras for quite a while at work with great success. I just picked up a Z6 for personal use, and I'm trying to find a way to transmit photos as I do with Canon.

I've tried out the various workaround that has been posted on here, but I'm hoping to find a way to connect the Z6 and SS via infrastructure mode. Using the ad-hoc wifi works, but I'm unable to export photos until I disconnect from the camera. I also would like to be able to just send select photos, not all of them automatically. So far I've been able to get the Z6 and SS to connect, but SS isn't able to receive a file.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks!
aferguson18

Re: Nikon Z6/7 Infrastructure Mode

Postby TheBrew » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:52 pm

I don't have a Z6/7, but I'll try to help as good as I can based on the input I've had so far. If any Z-owners are reading along, please chime in.. :)

If you want to only transfer specific photos: go into the ShutterSnitch settings, find the "PTP/IP (.." section and pick "Download" -> "Protected files". Now, to transfer specific photos, you just protect them while connected to the camera. That'll trigger the transfer.

Z6/Z7 support was added after version 4.3, so if you bought ShutterSnitch before then, you need a subscription for it to work. Are you a subscriber?

Note that when you switch between Nikon and Canon cameras you should go through the Setup Guide and pick the relevant camera; since they both use the same protocol and depending on the situation ShutterSnitch needs to re-setup the pairing parameters.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:14 am

You say it connects in infrastructure mode, but isn't able to receive files. Try going into the ShutterSnitch settings and scroll all the way to the bottom and turn on the Traffic Inspector. Then connect to the camera and take a photo. Do you see any interesting messages in the log window?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby aferguson18 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:10 am

Yup, that's the problem. I had purchased before but hadn't subscribed. Just signed up and it works great.

I was able to connect to my iphone hotspot via infrastructure mode and export photos out to the web.

Thanks for your great work!
aferguson18

Postby TheBrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:56 am

Good to hear - and thanks! :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi