WT-5

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

WT-5

Postby joanne » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi - I am new to Shuttersnitch and struggling to link my D4S with my IPAD pro, my own wifi transmitter on the WT-5. I've tried following the link for the WT-4 but I either get wireless error or FTP error. Any help or direction to previous posts would be gratefully received.
joanne

Re: WT-5

Postby TheBrew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi Joanne,

Very often the issue is the standard FTP port - since the WT guide never asks for it but just assumes it's 21 (which it's not with ShutterSnitch).

But you can change that - go into the ShutterSnitch settings on your iPad and change the 'FTP port' setting at the top from 26000 to 21. Then try connecting again.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby joanne » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks for your quick response, I have checked the port and it's on 26000, I think the issue is that I am following the directions for the WT-4 but there are differences with the drop down menus and options when setting up on a WT-5 and a can't seem to consolidate the two.
joanne

Postby TheBrew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:18 pm

I don't have a WT-5 myself, so excuse me if I ask some silly questions.. :)

Do you set it all up on the camera itself, or do you go through guide on a computer that lets you set things up? (Because I think it's best to just do it right on the camera ..if possible?)

If you tell me which fields you're not sure about, perhaps I can tell you what I'd choose?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby joanne » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Will try connecting straight to the camera, but do I use the ftp of my wireless dongle or the ftp address provided in the instructions?
joanne

Postby TheBrew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:39 pm

joanne wrote:but do I use the ftp of my wireless dongle or the ftp address provided in the instructions?

I'm not sure if this is a typo.. :/ I'm fully aware that of *all* the technologies ShutterSnitch supports, FTP is *the* one that almost needs a degree in computer science to get set up and still know everything you do. (So I'm really sorry if you're great at this - but I never know, so I'll go in detail:)

There are generally two ways for two devices (in this case your camera and your iPad) to talk to each other: Over a local wi-fi network which they both connect to, or in some cases the camera (or WT) can create a wireless network that the iPad can then connect to - like two people talking into cans on a string.

So, which one are you going to use?

In both scenarios, each device needs to have an IP address, which is like a telephone number - so they know how where to direct their questions and answers.

In the case of ShutterSnitch (which is an FTP Server your camera can send to), you'll have to configure the camera to talk to an FTP Server on the IP address the wi-fi network the camera and iPad are connected to.

Since I love analogies:

Your iPad is a limousine with 10 doors.
ShutterSnitch (the FTP server) is a person behind one of the doors.
The camera (+WT) is a delivery person with a photo for ShutterSnitch.

Now you need to tell the delivery person how to get to ShutterSnitch considering:

The Wi-Fi network is a parking lot.
The FTP server IP address is the parking space number.
The FTP server port is the door number ShutterSnitch is behind.
The Username+Password is the key to open the door and deliver the photo.

Since ShutterSnitch is in a car, the lock and door number (username, password, port) shouldn't ever change. But the car could move to a different parking lot and spot (wi-fi network, IP address) at some point.

Keeping that logic in mind will help you a lot when troubleshooting.

So, to get back to you original question, which I hope I'm now answering (finally):

The FTP server address is the IP address you see drop down at the top of the screen when you enter a collection when the iPad is connected to the network the WT-5 is also connected to.

Bold, because that's "the parking space number" on the current "parking lot".

You can say that whenever you change what network you're on via the Settings app, you're moving between parking lots. If it's the same parking lot you're going back to, there's a good chance you'll get the same parking space, but not always.

Oh yeah, it's also important to note that ShutterSnitch (the door lock) is only active if you're inside a collection.

I know I just wrote a novel. But FTP is about 40 years old now, and back then that's as far as they'd gotten in "user friendliness". :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi