Configuration question: Shuttersnitch/IOS/Photoshelter

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

Configuration question: Shuttersnitch/IOS/Photoshelter

Postby WaldenKirsch » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm

I am running Shuttersnitch on my iPhone13 Pro,and uploading image files via FTP from my Nikon Z7's native WiFi to cloud service Photoshelter.
Everything works perfect...except...
Seemingly intermittently I lose 5G/LTE cellular connectivity to email, Google, etc.
(I need to able to communicate with my news desk while I am on a news shoot and uploading to Photoshelter.)
So 2 questions:
1. On my IOS device... should I designate the Z7's WiFi network as "Manual" or "Automatic" on the IOS "Configure" settings menu? Does this even matter?
2. On the Shuttersnitch side... in the location/Photoshelter settings... should "Route" be "Static > Cellular" or "Static" Does this matter?
Thanks for any guidance from any experienced Shuttersnitch/IOS/Photoshelter pros!
WaldenKirsch

Re: Configuration question: Shuttersnitch/IOS/Photoshelter

Postby TheBrew » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm

Apps on iOS are completely sandboxed when it comes to the actual networking. They can use the available connections, but can't control them as such.

If you're experiencing networking drops, it's happening on the system side, outside of the apps. So I'm afraid I can't be of help there.

1. On my IOS device... should I designate the Z7's WiFi network as "Manual" or "Automatic" on the IOS "Configure" settings menu? Does this even matter?

Generally you only need to dive into Manual settings if things don't work at all. It sounds like you have the camera connecting and transferring - in that case, you're good. I'm sure your intermittent issues are not related to this.

2. On the Shuttersnitch side... in the location/Photoshelter settings... should "Route" be "Static > Cellular" or "Static" Does this matter?

This advanced setting was added for users with cameras that take over a little too much, causing transfers to the internet via the cellular route to fail. In this case picking the Fallback or Static route lets you force which interface to use for uploads. It's very dependent on the specific setup you find yourself with.
But all this is about outgoing transfer routes. Nothing you do here will change the stability of your connection.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :(
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Re: Configuration question: Shuttersnitch/IOS/Photoshelter

Postby WaldenKirsch » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 pm

this actually helps a lot… good guidance.
i was unsure if i was making a silly configuration error.
thanks much:)
WaldenKirsch

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi