wt 5 setup

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

wt 5 setup

Postby greenagency » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:11 am

I am setting up D4 with wt5 and ipad 3. Do you have instructions on how to do this or is it the same as wt 4 setup. I get to the point in the process where I manually configure an ip, 192.168.0.12 in shuttersnitch but the camera is forcing me to enter 3 digits in each of last 2 segments. Any direction would be appreciated.
greenagency

Re: wt 5 setup

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 am

Then you'd put in 192.168.000.012

Sorry, I have no guide specifically for the WT-5, but following the WT-4 guide should keep you on the right track.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby greenagency » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 am

Ok. on the wt 4 guide you are setting up with the nikon wt 4 app from a computer. I assume I can set up directly on the camera back. Thanks for your help. This is the best forum for responses I have ever been in.
greenagency

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 am

Yes, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to do it all from the camera (I'm not the lucky owner of a D4, but needing a computer just wouldn't make sense in this day and age..:)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 am

Yeah, from the manual it definitely looks like it's all configurable from the camera.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby greenagency » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 am

I have the Nikon and the ipad connected via ad hoc but nothing to shuttersnitch. I set it up using ip 192.168.000.012 since that was the ip generated by shuttersnitch. subnet 255.255.255.0 and router as specified. The ipad finds the ad hoc Nikon network and when i go to the collection it shows the corresponding ip and port (26000). I did notice in my setup, there is no wireless setting under the wrench on the d4. so not sure if that may be the issue.
greenagency

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 am

Sorry for the delay - sleep intervened.

Going through the manual, here's how I would set the WT-5 up:

1. In the camera menu, go to the wrench tab and select Network. Under "Choose hardware" select the WT-5.
2. Back in the Network menu, select "Network settings" and then "Create profile".
3. Select "Connection wizard" and pick "FTP - FTP upload".
4. Name your profile. I suggest "Ad-hoc iPad"
5. In the next step, select "Direct connection".
6. Type in an SSID such as "WT5".
7. Enter an encryption key.
8. You're asked how the IP address is obtained - choose "Enter manually" and enter in 192.168.001.001 for the Address and 255.255.255.000 for the Mask.
9. In the next step, choose "FTP" for the FTP server type.
10. (Hm, the manual skips the port step - I wonder if that comes in here - if so, set it to 26000)
11. Next put in the FTP server address: 192.168.001.123
12. Now select "Enter user ID" and put in "snitch" as the username and the password is the same as the super user password you set when you first launched ShutterSnitch.
13. For "Choose a destination folder" pick "Home folder".
14. Setup is complete! Select "Connect and exit wizard".

This should spawn the ad-hoc network and you'll see it under the Wi-Fi section in the Settings on your iPad.

The guide will probably fail at this point and tell you that it couldn't connect to the FTP server - don't worry about that. It's just because we're not done configuring yet.

15. Tap the WT5 network in the iPad settings and enter the encryption key you typed in in step 7.
16. When you're connected, tap the blue disclosure button to the right of the network name. Then tap the "Static" tab and fill in 192.168.1.123 for the IP Address, and 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask, and 192.168.1.1 for the Router.
17. Open ShutterSnitch, create a collection and enter it. It should say "IP 192.168.1.123 * Port 26000" at the top of the screen.

18. The WT should now be able to connect to the FTP server. Take a photo, and it should arrive ....?

Let me know how that goes. Maybe we can put together a solid "step-by-step" guide for the WT-5 from what we learn.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Simon_nikon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:37 pm

To setup the D4 with WT-5 to shuttersnitch

Choose manual setup :
General - here you only put in your own name for the profile (ex. Ipad AdHoc)
Wireless - Put in your SSID name (network name) and com. mode is AD Hoc (you can also choose to encrypt the network, but not nessary)
TCP/IP - Choose "Obtain Automaticlly"
FTP -
Put in the adress (you can just coose your own) ex 169.254.100.50
Folder - No action
Port set for 26000
Pasv mode - leave at on
Set login data (next page)
snitch
and your password that you choose when setting up shuttersnich the first time
Proxy OFF

Then go to ipad/iphone and settings and network and choose the network you created in the wireless menu earlier, hit the little arrow and set ip adress to static as showen in the attached screen dump.

Make sure that the ipad is on the created network from D4

And now you open shuttersnitch and make a folder (look if the listening ip adresse is correct, if not shut program down and start again.

The first picture you send from the D4 could now take a little while but else it will now work.
Attachments
network_ipad.JPG
network_ipad.JPG (34.2 KiB) Viewed 8564 times
Simon_nikon

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Thank you so much for your input, Simon!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby greenagency » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:50 pm

I have followed Simons dirctions and set up my own ip and shuttersnitch is listening to it on port 26000 but I am not getting image transfer. I also noticed my wt5 is going from solid green to blinking orange. When I shoot frames, it goes to green then switches over to the blinking orange, then goes out. I assume this is due to going active to process then shutting down after the process.

So seems I have a solid connection and SS is listening to the correct ip.

I did notice in Simon's screen capture, he did not have a router set so I did remove router setting from my iPad when setting it up.

Thank both of you for your help in this.
greenagency

Next

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi