D4S, WT5 and iPhone 7 in ad-hoc mode

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

D4S, WT5 and iPhone 7 in ad-hoc mode

Postby samka4att » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:31 pm

I had an iPhone 4s and set all this up. It worked flawlessly.......... until I upgraded to an iPhone 7. I wonder if the newer OS changed something it thought it should, even tho it didn't need to. (I guess it knew better what I wanted/needed to do!!) Now, it is very unstable. Will connect, then for no reason, it will drop the connection. If someone texts me, it drops the connection.

I read thru all of the topics that even came close to describing my problem. Still I am having problems. I saw one post that said...

The security of the network is up to you - I picked "Open" authentication, WEP64 encryption and a ridiculous encryption key (make sure it's 10 characters and please, use something better than mine). Next!
Note: iOS 10 seems to be blocking traffic if the encryption isn't of a high enough standard - WEP for example. So if you're having issues, try not using encryption.

I am NOT using any encryption now. Do I need to, since iOS 10 blocks connections if encryption isn't high enough???? Or, am I reading the sentence wrong??

Until I upgraded, it was the best thing going...... It never missed a beat, no matter where I was at.

I am looking for a portable router now, unless I can get this back on track.

Thanks for any and all help with this.

Sam
samka4att

Re: D4S, WT5 and iPhone 7 in ad-hoc mode

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:47 pm

It sounds like a signal issue. Too much wireless noise (more and more devices around us).
Maybe it'll be more stable if you change the channel you communicate on (step 1g in the guide).

Re. "blocking traffic" on iOS 10: No, it simply just won't work if the encryption protocol is too old. It wouldn't be unstable. Just won't connect.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby samka4att » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply......

I have a ballgame tonight and will change the channel and see if it helps.

Would the new iPhone have better comms on some channels than others?? I have think the channel is set to use 6...... and, I did not change it when I got the new phone. Again, with the 4S, it was a seamless process that never caused problems.

Thanks again for the quick reply,'

Sam
samka4att

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 pm

The more devices and wireless technologies we (and our neighbours, and their neighbours, and..) surround ourselves with the more noise we introduce. New faster wi-fi routers, wi-fi lightbulbs, wi-fi locks, wi-fi toasters. We may not be able to see it, but it's reeeally noisy and it's only getting worse. Channels are a way to try to avoid too many collisions.

The antenna and wireless chipset in your iPhone 4S and iPhone 7 are also worlds apart. One would think that the iPhone 7 is better though - but perhaps it's more optimized for higher speeds. Who knows.

Reminds me of this thread. A solid solution is to go wired.. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby samka4att » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Yes... I am in the process of ordering a portable router...... Can't order off the D-Link page for some reason.

When I get it, is there a page here on how to set it up??

Thanks again, will let you know if the new channel is any better. I'm at the arena now... game at 7:00pm EST.

Sam
samka4att

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't have a portable router myself, but I'm sure there's a post somewhere here. The difference between a portable router and a regular wi-fi network is the lack of a cord and a battery. So the current infrastructure guides should still be valid. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby samka4att » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 am

It seemed to do a little better swapping the channel. Still, it would lose connectivity at times. Still don't know what is going on. I still think the new iOS has changed a setting that I did not want to change. When it lost the connection, I would go in and set a new channel hoping to land on one that was better than the others. I saw the post about selecting a WiFi channel. Going to have to read that a bit closer and see if I can get my iPhone 7 to see the channels in use.

But, thanks for the help. Someone will find the offending setting and post it for all to see. Makes me want to get my 4S phone out and get a line for just it to text pictures with.

BTW, router ordered. That may be my best option in the long run.

Sam
samka4att

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi