IMG_8369.JPG
IMG_8369.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2428 times
IMG_8367.JPG
IMG_8367.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2428 times
MartinWong

Re: Nikon D850

Postby TheBrew » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm

OK thanks!

I must admit I don't know how the SnapBridge thing works. Do you install an app on your iOS device, pair it over Bluetooth and then it auto-joins the camera wi-fi when there are new photos to be transferred?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MartinWong » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

TheBrew wrote:OK thanks!

I must admit I don't know how the SnapBridge thing works. Do you install an app on your iOS device, pair it over Bluetooth and then it auto-joins the camera wi-fi when there are new photos to be transferred?

This is the first time that I'm using SnapBridge, and it feels like a mess. Even the original EyeFi app was so much better than this.

So how it works is that, after initial pairing, it will try to pair with your camera via bluetooth each time you open the app. If it confirmed there is an established connection, it will suggest you to connect the camera via Wi-Fi. (So my guess is that after the camera acknowledge that the bluetooth connection has been established then it would start broadcasting wifi). I'm still trying to find out if there is a way to connect to the camera wifi directly without the Snapbridge app or bluetooth turned on.
MartinWong

Postby TheBrew » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 pm

If you connect to the wi-fi after the app tells you to, and you then kill the app (double click home button, swipe up on the app), does the camera terminate the wi-fi network?

If not - can ShutterSnitch talk to the camera if you've chosen the "Nikon WU/Built-in Wi-Fi" option in the setup guide?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MartinWong » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

TheBrew wrote:If you connect to the wi-fi after the app tells you to, and you then kill the app (double click home button, swipe up on the app), does the camera terminate the wi-fi network?

If not - can ShutterSnitch talk to the camera if you've chosen the "Nikon WU/Built-in Wi-Fi" option in the setup guide?

That's the thing, I THINK (THINK, NOT SURE) when the app is using the wifi, it cannot be connected to Shutter Snitch (naturally) but when we close the app, it closes off the wifi as well. I think the app use bluetooth to tell the camera when to turn on and when to turn off wifi broadcasting

Wait, the setup guide is just a guide (instruction stuffs), do you mean settings?
MartinWong

Postby TheBrew » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm

MartinWong wrote:Wait, the setup guide is just a guide (instruction stuffs), do you mean settings?

The setup guide also makes sure the correct settings are put in.

Makes sense, what you say about the Nikon app using Bluetooth to turn the wi-fi on and off - I'm just thinking if you pull the plug on the app kill-style (swiping up on the multi-tasking screen), it may not get the chance to tell the camera to turn wi-fi off.. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby slaterk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Here's a link which has some info about nikon wifi ... i think it's the same as the 850 :(
ie the camera switches off the wifi as soon as you switch apps from Snapbridge:
https://lrtimelapse.com/open-letter/nikon/

got picked up in a couple of places
https://fstoppers.com/apps/unlock-wi-fi ... kon-189964
http://www.diyphotography.net/give-us-b ... ter-nikon/
slaterk

Postby TheBrew » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks ..and dang it.. :/
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby slaterk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 am

TheBrew wrote:Thanks ..and dang it.. :/

Does that mean it won't work?
:(
slaterk

Postby TheBrew » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

slaterk wrote:
TheBrew wrote:Thanks ..and dang it.. :/

Does that mean it won't work?
:(

I don't know. Probably not, from what they write. Unless Nikon offers third-party developers a way to turn on the wi-fi via Bluetooth.
TheBrew
The Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi