Nikon D5 + WT6 + Ipad

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

Nikon D5 + WT6 + Ipad

Postby Tigershark » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Dear all,
I have tried to find a setup guide for the above mentioned configuration,....but no success.
My D5 and WT6 are setup as a FTP server (FTP upload) with the IP address 192.168.1.26 and for login “snitch” is selected with password the same as the super user password.
Starting the connection my iPad indeed recognises D5 (network) but, input the password (same as super user password) and the message remains “incorrect password”.

I look forward to a solution for my setup.
Thanks.
Tigershark

Re: Nikon D5 + WT6 + Ipad

Postby TheBrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Try this:

1. Go into the ShutterSnitch settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and turn on the “Traffic Inspector”.
2. Go into the Settings app and join the D5 WiFi network.
3. Go back to ShutterSnitch and enter or create a new collection. (Entering a collection starts the FTP server, exiting a collection turns it off.)
4. On the camera, try to establish the connection.

The Traffic Inspector log should now show you any traffic going back and forth. Maybe that’ll reveal what’s going wrong. Feel free to copy the log and paste it in a post here if you’d like me to take a look at it.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 pm

You didn’t mention the port - it’s important that the WT is configured to contact the FTP server on port 26000.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Tigershark » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:26 am

Thanx for the reply

Enclosed please find the traffic log.
I cant find the “bug”.

When going to my iPad settings and connecting to D5 in the list of networks it’ll ask for a password. Seems this password is the only missing thing but no idea where to get this from,

15:08:38.889 ShutterSnitch v4.3.7 (33952) User since version 33952
Device: iPad7,1, 64-bit, iOS 12.1
In-App Purchases: Latest subscription expiration/renewal date: 14 Nov 2018 at 21:05:23
Free memory: 1,025,933,312
Free disk space: 433,027,383,296
Time: 11 Nov 2018 at 15:08:38

15:08:38.892 Listening…
15:08:38.897 IP: 192.168.1.26 on network 'Dutch Connection'
FTP port: 26000
WebDAV port: 8080
Eye-Fi: Disabled (0 cards)
PTP/IP: Disabled
Transcend Wi-Fi card transfers: Disabled
Toshiba FlashAir transfers: Disabled
ezShare transfers: Disabled
PQI Air / Air Direct transfers: Disabled
GoPro transfers: Disabled
Panasonic LUMIX LINK transfers: Disabled
Sony DLNA transfers: Disabled
Canon UPnP transfers: Disabled
Fujifilm transfers: Disabled
15:08:38.903 Started WebDAV server on port 8080
15:11:23.270 Started WebDAV server on port 8080
Attachments
0E3F8D7B-1047-440A-9032-0B7DCAE3DF88.png
0E3F8D7B-1047-440A-9032-0B7DCAE3DF88.png (506.36 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Tigershark

Postby TheBrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 am

That password is the password for the camera network. I don’t have a D5 +WT, but I’m sure you can find that somewhere in the camera settings - it’s also often called the “encryption key”.

So you’re not yet connected to the D5 network - which brings up another thing: The FTP server IP has to be the IP you get when you’re connected to the camera network (*not* the one you have when connected to “Dutch Connection” which I assume is your local WiFi network?). Once you’re connected to the D5, tap the little blue “i” to the right of the name in the WiFi list to see what IP the camera has given it. If it’s blank, go back wait a minute and tap the i again.

I know this is incredibly complicated ..but that’s just the way it is with FTP transfers. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Tigershark » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:37 pm

I’ve tried about every setting possible by now but it’s not possible to connect
To my IPad ( didn’t try iPhone yet but don’t expect much difference )

Things will either not connect at all or I will get messages like IPad error or FTP error.

I have been searching for any similar posts and see if there’s anybody managed to get this config going but so far can’t find any replies in that sense.
If anybody could provide me with a step by step solution I look forward to that.
Tigershark

Postby TheBrew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:39 am

I'll ask again: is “Dutch Connection” your local WiFi network?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Tigershark » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanx for the suggestion.
Yes, if we could get it working that would be good.
Dutch Connection is the WiFi network I used at that place.
At the moment I’m elsewhere for some time and without a computer connection
which could make it less easy to setup things as I can’t connect
to the Nikon WTU.
Coming days I’ll try a new setup from the camera menu , copy the settings
and see if we can get things going.
Tigershark

Postby TheBrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Note that when you join a different network (or the WT6 network), the IP address of the iPad will most likely change. So make sure that the FTP server field in the camera matches that IP address.

The port, 26000, will always stay the same.

While trying to make it work, it's a good idea to have the Traffic Inspector window open, so you'll notice if any errors are displayed.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Looking at the D5 manual I bet I know what's going wrong. If you choose the Connection Wizard on the camera it looks like it doesn't offer you the option to set the FTP port ..which is *very* important. If that's not set correctly, the camera will just be "knocking on the wrong door in the building".

So here's a way around that:
* Go to the ShutterSnitch settings and change the FTP port to 21 instead of 26000.
* Make sure your iPad and camera are on the same network.
* Enter a collection and note the IP address displayed at the top of the screen.
* Create a new network profile on the camera using that IP for the FTP server field.

Running on port 21 *could* get you intro trouble if you switch between other apps that also want to run a server on that port.

If you want to avoid that, edit the profile on the camera and change the FTP port to 26000. Then change the port back to 26000 in the ShutterSnitch settings.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi