Image quality

Suggest away - maybe I'll like the idea :)

Image quality

Postby Widphoto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 am

I just got ShutterSnitch up and running on my ipad over my wifi hot spot (aka jailbroken iphone) and I am thrilled to have a solution that finally works for easily getting images onto my ipad. Kudos to you and your product. I can now go on location and have my camera wirelessly deliver images to the ipad, previewing jpgs for checking the set up and showing images to clients. Much better than Apple's camera connection kit and a USB adapter.

Many thanks for your godsend product!

Getting to my question regarding image quality/resolution in SS on the ipad. As a test, I have captured two files on my Canon 1ds m2, a high res jpg (L) and a low res jpg (S). When previewing and zooming in on the hres jpg image (L), it appears to look like a similar quality image as that of the (S) smaller jpg image. My guess here is that some kind of display compression is being used to "squish" too many pixels onto a smaller screen and it is not doing it particularly well. My guess here.

Are there plans to improve this display algorithm? Or improve image quality for hres files under zoom magnification? Is this an Apple limitation?

Of course, when viewed on a desktop machine, the larger jpg outshines the smaller by a tremendous measure. But not on the ipad. Especially upon a zoom in. Also, will there be % zoom numbers shown in future versions, it would be nice to know when one is at %100, or "actual pixels" as photoshop would state. Or does this not translate on the ipad? Both shot at the same high compression settings, fyi.

I have attached two screen captures from the ipad, small and large jpg. Again, these are captures from what I see when the files are viewed on an ipad. Not much difference. The actual large file looks 5x better on a desktop machine.

Thanks again, super product.

Russ Widstrand
Attachments
small.PNG
small.PNG (686.82 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
large.PNG
large.PNG (691.79 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
Widphoto

Re: Image quality

Postby Widphoto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:59 am

I should state that the large jpg is 4992x3328. The small jpg is 2496x1664. Russ
Widphoto

Postby TheBrew » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words :) ..I needed those.

Yes, the images are automatically resized to avoid crashing the app - the iProducts have a very limited amount of memory and can't display a large image without some "magic" being performed. The current version resizes the images - but the 2.0 release that I'm working on, and which will be a free update, has the "magic" that allows for 1:1 images. So hang tight - it's in the oven.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby skirsch » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:12 pm

AWESOME to hear that.

After finding the fix for the Flickr problem on mutli-tasking iPads, I have only 2 gripes with this software:

1) there is no apparent option to stay logged in as superuser permanently (not in the app or the control panel in Settings)
2) the low resolution on the screen so when you zoom in, it looks out of focus.

glad to see you are on top of #2. Still looking for #1...that's my biggest gripe but i just got on the forums and I'm sure someone would have mentioned this..
skirsch

Postby skirsch » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:17 pm

OH, I see once you are logged in, there is a new menu item that appears to "stay logged in"

It would have been more intuitive as a checkbox on the log in box

Or have something in the control panel as to whether to autologout of superuser or not (default being not to since most iPads are personal).
skirsch

Postby TheBrew » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm

In 2.0 you will automatically stay logged in - until you choose to log out. I think that's what most people will want!

If that turns out to be an issue, I bet I can be persuaded to do an "auto logout" option :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Feature suggestions