Jpeg file quality as action / task

Suggest away - maybe I'll like the idea :)

Jpeg file quality as action / task

Postby andreas.buder » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello,

I have another feature suggestion, which should be much easier to implement. Until now, you can add resizing as an action, so that your photo is more convenient for example for facebook.

But I miss a Jpeg quality setting, where I can set the quality for example to 80% and therefore can keep the original resolution, but get a much smaller filesize. That is convenient for quick sharing or uploading to the cloud with slow internet connections. Since this is quite common as a feature in other apps or software, it might be easy to implement (but of course, I have absolutely no idea if that is true).

Would be glad, if you‘d consider this.

Thanks for listening,
Andreas
andreas.buder

Re: Jpeg file quality as action / task

Postby athuillier » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Andreas, theBrew,

I was about to ask exactly the same thing !! :-))
Add the menu Options/Jpeg recompression quality into the menu Action/Change photo/
Really more than useful, to share the pictures, and of far better quality than to resize them

Thank you
athuillier

Postby athuillier » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:33 am

Hi,

We neeeeeed this option in so many cases, like during the Tour de France, for example, where the connections are weak all along the ride.
You have to know the Canon cameras have this native setting to highly compress the files, but not at all the Nikons.

Cheers
athuillier

Postby andreas.buder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi,

I‘d like to also emphasize this option again. It is really useful.

In the meanwhile though, I use a workaround, that at least in my case works good enough: In the general app settings, which you can enter, if you go outside of your session/collection, there is the Jpeg file quality option (you need to scroll down all the way). You can choose between 100, 90, 80, 70, 50 and 20% quality. This setting gets applied every time you change the resolution of your pictures via an action. So, if you want to keep the original resolution, just use the custom resolution field and fill in your desired max. resolution, which can be as high as you want. If it is higher, than your camera can produce, it will use the original resolution of your camera, but still apply the file quality setting. I use a resolution, that is higher than any camera I own, so it would always use the original resolution and apply the new file quality setting.

So, basically this option is and always was there, but hidden away. It would be simpler and easier, if you could apply settings, that are local within the action. So you could set different quality settings for different occasions within some actions. Right now, the setting is global and gets applied, as soon you touch the files via resizing or watermarking, which is not always desired.

I hope this was helpful to you, athuillier.

Cheers,
Andreas
andreas.buder

Postby photog » Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 pm

... action-option would be very helpful.

-Oryk
photog

Postby athuillier » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Before the Tour de France please !! :-)
The connections are so bad in the countryside.
athuillier

Postby athuillier » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello Thebrew,
I dig up this post, and I give it a major support again !
The jpeg compression feature in the Option/Settings menu is confusing when it is actually a transformation of the image which means it should be in the menu "Change Photo". It makes sense and it will be more convenient.
In the hope of being heard
athuillier

Postby athuillier » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi TheBrew,

A simple Compression-Jpeg shortcut to Options > Settings > Quality JPEG Recompression, in the toolbar would also do a good job.
At least we would have access to this setting, without exiting the Collection, which would preserve the WIFI connection to the camera.

Cheers
athuillier

Return to Feature suggestions