Metadata in HEIC files

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Metadata in HEIC files

Postby Ant » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:01 pm

Hi TheBrew

The Metadata EXIFs & IPTCs are not complete in the HEIC files, it looses most of them with the current approach.
Once you send us a conf file called "Enable" with far better results; It removes the Nikon makernotes but at least keeps the Orientation and Size...
Can you make it a default means/method

Thank you
Ant

Re: Metadata in HEIC files

Postby TheBrew » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:35 am

OK, I'll add a toggle to the Metadata Editing settings page in the next update.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ant » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:56 pm

Hello TheBrew,

I hope you are good,

I've been using the Heic Legacy feature, and it works flawlessly with my current workflow: initially capturing images in JPEG format, followed by the addition of metadata to these Jpeg files, converting them to Heic format, and finally uploading them to an FTP server.

However, I've encountered an issue when I alter the sequence of this process. Capturing images in JPEG format, converting them to HEIC format, followed by the addition of metadata to these Heic files, and finally uploading them to an FTP server. I've noticed that the metadata doesn't persist, they disapear somewhere in those steps.

Could you please check if you're experiencing a similar issue on your end?

All the best for 2024
Ant

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:37 pm

Converting to HEIC preemptively is a good way to lose non-trivial metadata such as the maker note. So you should avoid doing that.

I simply use the built-in iOS metadata reader/writer frameworks when handling HEICs and it’s likely things will get lost in translation.

Stick to JPEG when modifying metadata and leave the lossy fingers-crossed conversion to the very last step. That’s what makes the legacy thing work in your case - it thankfully supports parsing all the fields you need.

Best to you in 2024 too!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ant » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Okay, but .HIF will soon become a standard format for cameras that we will need to be able to add captions to.
You can already select it in some Canon, Sony, and Nikon Z8 models.

Have you tried ?
Ant

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:12 pm

I think you’re my only customer I’ve heard from who pays it this much attention. :)

Currently it’s not a format I can defend spending serious time on, but I’ll keep an eye on it.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ant » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:52 pm

Trust me :-)
Ant

Postby Ant » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 pm

Hello the Brew,
Here we are,
It is impossible to add metadata to the files uploaded in HIF by the Nikon Z9 :-(
Ant
Ant

Postby TheBrew » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:19 am

Should be fixed in the next update!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ant » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:26 pm

Thanks TheBrew !!
And thanks also for working in the Exif Time zone issue
Ant

Return to Bugs