Timeout on Receiving

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Timeout on Receiving

Postby ATJ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 pm

I reported this is the EyeFi forum 3 weeks ago with no response.

I have a D7000 with a 32GB eyefi mobiPro card and I'm receiving on an iPhone 4S (iOS 9.3.2 (13F69)) with ShutterSnitch v3.7.1 (11839). Battery in camera is fully charged and camera is right next to the Wi-Fi AP as is the phone.

It frequently times out on the last image or two. All the other images load fine but fails on the last image or two. If I take more photos the images that it timed out on load fine. When it times out, it seems to receive all but the very last bit. It just keeps timing out, over and over again. I eventually have to pull the card and load manually.

Here's a screen capture showing how far the receive gets:

and then the time out:

Note I have seen ShutterSnitch do the same thing with my older EyeFi card and my iPhone 6S.
ATJ

Re: Timeout on Receiving

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 pm

ShutterSnitch doesn't retrieve files from Eye-Fi cards. It receives what is pushed to it.

So if the card doesn't send all the data, there's not really much ShutterSnitch can do about it. :/

In case something's wonky with your card, I seem to remember something about reformatting the card in the camera will clear things up. Have you tried that?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ATJ » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 am

TheBrew wrote:In case something's wonky with your card, I seem to remember something about reformatting the card in the camera will clear things up. Have you tried that?

Yep. Just about every week. I had formatted it just before my last use and I had the timeout problem.
ATJ

Postby MadDawgJ » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:49 am

If you can make it time out again and know how to get a card log so I can look at what the card is doing. If you don't know how let me know and I'll type up the steps as soon as I get a sec. Do you have "Eye-Fi Enabled" in the camera's menu? What you are describing sounds like the card is getting shut off (it relies on the camera supplying it power to transfer) before it finishes. What firmware does the camera have? If you have another camera does the same thing happen if you take pics in the D7000 and then put it in the other camera to transfer?
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby ATJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:02 am

MadDawgJ wrote:If you can make it time out again and know how to get a card log so I can look at what the card is doing.

It doesn't always do it, so I can't make it do it as such.

MadDawgJ wrote:If you don't know how let me know and I'll type up the steps as soon as I get a sec.

I don't know how.

MadDawgJ wrote:Do you have "Eye-Fi Enabled" in the camera's menu?

Yes. It won't transfer if I don't. I have it disabled while I'm diving and only enable it when ready to transfer (after the dive).

MadDawgJ wrote:What you are describing sounds like the card is getting shut off (it relies on the camera supplying it power to transfer) before it finishes. What firmware does the camera have? If you have another camera does the same thing happen if you take pics in the D7000 and then put it in the other camera to transfer?

But the weird thing is if I have the timeout issue (e.g. it has timed out multiple times) and I take one photograph, the new photograph transfers then the one that was timing out.

Just last Saturday I did a night dive. In the morning I took three test photos. In the evening on my dive I took 167 photos. After the dive I turned transfer on and all the photos transferred except the first three test photos and the last photo. I tried multiple times to transfer the remaining photos and it kept timing out on the last photo. I then took a new photo. That new photo transferred immediately without any problems, then the previous photo (that had been timing out) transferred successfully and then the three test photos.

Why would the camera shut off the card for this one photo and then not if I take another photo?

The other weird thing is this didn't happen when I first started using the mobiPro card. It has only been happening the last couple of months. Nothing in the camera or the card has changed. The only change has been the version of ShutterSnitch.
ATJ

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 pm

What you are describing, besides being weird, is almost definitely the Card. If ShutterSnitch wasn't understand the finished transmitting from the card the last picture would always be stuck. If it was an issue with the picture itself it wouldn't complete the next upload. I'm not sure how to get a card log with the new software so I'll have to look into that. In the mean time can you download the Eye-Fi app and try replicating the issue with it. If it also fails with their app, and I think it will, then we will know it is definitely the card and you will be a leg up since Eye-Fi support will not troubleshoot issues that are happening with software other than their own and you may need them to figure out if they can fix your card or if they need to replace it.

Let me know what happens if you try their app and I'll keep looking into some things.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ

Postby ATJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 am

I had the timeout problem again today. It was timing out on the last photo and hadn't loaded the first photo taken after format.

It timed out a couple of times so I knew the problem was occurring. I closed ShutterSnitch on my phone and started EyeFi Mobi on my Mac. Both photos loaded without any issue at all.

This suggests that it is not the card.
ATJ

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 pm

I can fully understand that it'd be nice if it was just a bug in ShutterSnitch and then simply fixed by upgrading to a new version.

The thing is that the Eye-Fi code hasn't changed since 2015. Back then it was just a key-check change. The receiving-code hasn't changed for years.

You're also the only one reporting this out of many thousand Eye-Fi users. Which makes me think it's 'something else'.

It could be that your device is too memory constrained or simply that the card did a reboot while you switched to the Mac.

A timeout is bound to happen now and then with wi-fi. But if it happens very often I'm thinking it could also be the iPhone 4S struggling with memory constraints on iOS 9 which is a lot more exhausting to run than its original iOS 5.0.
You note that it also does it on your iPhone 6S - if it happens just as often there then, of course, my guess is wrong and the issue must be somewhere else.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MadDawgJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Ok found instructions for the new software. Card logs only show a small window of time so if you can get it to fail again then follow these steps to get the log and upload it here so I can look at what the card is doing when this happens and see if that sheds some light on the cause.

install the desktop application
place the card in its supplied reader then into a usb port on your pc/mac
right click the icon in the sys tray and select options to open the options screen and click the down arrow next to advanced
scroll to the bottom and hit the get card log button
save the file to your pc and attach to an email

the process is slightly different on the mac but the idea is the same, your looking for the screen below to find the get card log button.

-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ

Postby ATJ » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:42 am

Today I had the timeout problem again on my iPhone 4S with the last photo on the card.

I closed and quit ShutterSnitch on the iPhone 4S. I opened ShutterSnitch on the iPhone 6S, created a new collection and with it open, turned the camera back on. It started to transfer the last file and then timed out again, just like on the iPhone 4S. I turned off the camera and on again. The same thing happened.

I closed and quit ShutterSnitch on the iPhone 6S. I opened EyeFi Mobi on the Mac. I turned the camera on and it started transferring the last file but that failed. I turned the camera off and on and this time it transferred successfully.

I got the log from the card but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the file. I have attached it
Attachments
Mobi Card.log
Log from my Eyefi Mobi card
(63.99 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
ATJ

Next

Return to Bugs