Bugreports = Bugfixes

Re: Crashing when trying to edit action

Postby richkiddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:14 pm

That’s the most recent log.
Brand new 64 w04
richkiddy

Postby richkiddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm

The only other thing I did this morning was to reformat the card and reinitialise it using the Toshiba software in my laptop. I have also been using it with a different camera this morning, a 7D Mark two.
richkiddy

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Great, then the app hasn't crashed since last we spoke. :)

OK, a Toshiba card. The w04 I have is *not* happy about being inside a camera body. Outside, in a card reader, transfers fly. Stick it inside a camera and the signal almost disappears. It probably depends on what material the body is made of and how much electrical noise is inside of it when it's in operation.

As you can imagine, there's not really much ShutterSnitch as an app can do about a bad signal strength from a device.

In the case of Toshiba cards, ShutterSnitch detects the card on the network and from then on it's just polling the card as if it's a website it's refreshing and seeing if there's anything new there. If there is, it'll download the file(s) just like the Safari browser would download from a website.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby richkiddy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am

I think signal wasn't a problem, the camera was right next to the phone all the time, as in inches. Transfers would fly, but then got stuck.
Is there something I'm missing on finding the latest log for today?

I've some time tomorrow to set up and do some more testing, but would really love this to work for me.

Is there a better card I could buy?

On Amazon there are gudoqi, ezshare, RGBS, CableCC, PQI Air.

Also, Could really do with a FAQ as to do some basic setups, as a professional photographer... Such as:
how to set up so ALL photos taken get transferred to laptop, with no interaction - when laptop is a few feet away from the camera
Set up for all photos to go to dropbox with no interaction - when the camera may be hundreds of feet from the laptop so images go through 4G phone / wifi at laptop end
How does the "lock" feature work so I can choose images to be transferred from the camera, instead of using my phone, to apply to both the above scenarios.
Help on this much appreciated.

Richard
richkiddy

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am

richkiddy wrote:I think signal wasn't a problem, the camera was right next to the phone all the time, as in inches. Transfers would fly, but then got stuck.
Is there something I'm missing on finding the latest log for today?

Those logs are only crash logs, so you'll only see actual crashes there.

Could it be that your camera goes into power-save mode before the card is done transferring?

If you want to look behind the curtain, you can turn on 'Traffic Inspector' at the bottom of the ShutterSnitch settings. You'll then see a log-window when you enter a collection. Helpful for troubleshooting.

richkiddy wrote:Is there a better card I could buy?

On Amazon there are gudoqi, ezshare, RGBS, CableCC, PQI Air.

FlashAir worked perfectly for me up until w04 - I think it's the greater speed it offers. Fast or stable transfers - pick one. :)

It's been 6 years since I added support for PQI Air and Ez share cards. Hopefully they still work the same way - I haven't heard any complaints that they don't.

If you can get your hands on a w03 FlashAir card, I'd go with that.

richkiddy wrote:How does the "lock" feature work so I can choose images to be transferred from the camera, instead of using my phone, to apply to both the above scenarios.

Is that a FlashAir feature? If so, it won't work with ShutterSnitch. It doesn't look at locked state for wi-fi cards. If it's the 'Download' -> 'Protected files' option in the app settings you're talking about, that only works with PTP/IP cameras that support doing that via their built-in wi-fi capability.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby richkiddy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 am

Could it be that your camera goes into power-save mode before the card is done transferring?

No - the job was photographing an awards and a new photo every 30 seconds or so - timeout was set to 15 minutes.

Thanks for the advice about the w03 - I've just ordered one.

I'll have another play with my card later today to see what might cause the hangs and I'll look at this traffic inspector thingy.

Any pointers on the following?
Also, Could really do with a FAQ as to do some basic setups, as a professional photographer... Such as:
how to set up so ALL photos taken get transferred to laptop, with no interaction - when laptop is a few feet away from the camera
Set up for all photos to go to dropbox with no interaction - when the camera may be hundreds of feet from the laptop so images go through 4G phone / wifi at laptop end

Help on this much appreciated.

Many thanks!
richkiddy

Postby richkiddy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:13 am

P.s.

I also bought the Canon's own wifi card W-E1 - thinking this would do the trick but seems to only be able to take a photo by using my phone, or basically hamstringing my camera while I browse the photos on my phone. Is there a more versatile use of this W-E1?

Thanks
richkiddy

Postby richkiddy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Your new software is now downloaded and seems to have overcome the issues now, also photos can now go straight to dropbox with no interaction which answers one of my points now!

Many thanks!
richkiddy

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Great!

With regards to the W-E1, I don't have one, but it seems its main function is to remote-control the camera, which is not something ShutterSnitch does. I know it also offers a way to download the photos from the CF card, but I'm just a lone developer and have to prioritize my time on which cameras and cards I need to add support for / keep up-to-date - and this edge-case just didn't make it.

How do you transfer files to your laptop? Do you have an FTP server running on it, or? (Or is that the question you're asking "how do I transfer to my laptop?") Is your laptop a Mac or a PC?

I can already say that the least error prone approach would probably be to stick to the Dropbox uploads. That'll take care of head-aches like 'is the laptop running' or 'am I connected to the same network as the laptop'. And if you have more than one computer the files will end up in all their Dropbox folders.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby richkiddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:33 am

No, o don't have ftp server on laptop, is that what I need?

Going back to a few posts ago, an FAQ for some example setups would be great.

Richard.
richkiddy

Previous

Return to Bugs