No RAW preview in the thumbnail strip

Bugreports = Bugfixes

No RAW preview in the thumbnail strip

Postby vips » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:36 pm

If I transmit a RAW .cr2 photo from my EOS 1D X Mark II to my iPhone, the photo doesn't appear on the screen. The thumbnail strip shows an empty black square, but not the photo. The photo appears if I zoom in, but the thumbnail strip stays black and the photo disappears completly, if I zoom out. I didn't had this issue in earlier iOS or ShutterSnitch versions… JPEGs work fine.
I use iOS 13.2.2 and the latest version of ShutterSnitch. Any ideas?

vips

Re: No RAW preview in the thumbnail strip

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:33 pm

If I had to venture a guess, my money would be on it being an iOS 13 bug.

I bet it's a 'memory is constrained, so here's a blank image' problem. 13 is an absolute car crash, so maybe there's nothing I can do about it - and it'll just get fixed in a future iOS update. But! Maybe not - so could you attach a sample .cr2 from your camera here so I can test it on my side?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby vips » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Thank you for your fast reply and your support. In the following link, you can find a .cr2 file out of my camera.
- Link removed -
Last edited by vips on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vips

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks! Got it - I'll see if I can reproduce it and if there's something I can do about it. Will post back when I know more!

Just in case it's related to the device - what iPhone are you using?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby vips » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:07 pm

A good old iPhone SE…
vips

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Ah, the best iPhone out there! (Well, in size and design :)

I can confirm this issue is also present on my iPad mini - and it's an iOS 13 bug.. :( Works perfectly on iOS 12.4.

Funny thing is, it can't be a size issue. I've tested with a 24 megapixel CR2 from a 6D - no problem for iOS 13 showing that, and it's larger than your example-raw.

Would you be OK with me posting your sample file to Apple in a bug report on this?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby vips » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 pm

TheBrew wrote:Would you be OK with me posting your sample file to Apple in a bug report on this?
Yes, of course!
vips

Postby TheBrew » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Great. Fingers crossed they fix it soon!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Good news - I was wrong!

I was putting together an example app for Apple, and it had no problem showing the image.. So I went back to my code and dug deeper.

Turns out the image routines in iOS 13 just fail silently if they run into some invalid metadata values. The GPS Version part of your metadata was parsed as 4 strings ('2','3','0','0') instead of as 4 numbers 2, 3, 0, 0. I'm pretty sure previous versions just took the strings without any complaints, but 13 only wants numbers and stops all processing if it doesn't.

I've just submitted the fixed v4.7.14 to the App Store. Hopefully they'll approved in the coming days. Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Wow, that was fast - approved. Should show up in your App Store updates very soon.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Bugs