Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 issue

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 issue

Postby avlk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:51 pm

After update to iOS 13.3 (iPhone 7) transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 (firmware 1.10) doesn't work every time. If I press ‘lock’ right after the shot often I have to press the ‘play’ button then unlock this shot and lock it again to start transfer image to Shutternitch. On iOS 12.4 ‘lock’ button works perfectly every time.
avlk
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Are you testing it with an iOS 12.4 device or do you just mean that it *did* work perfectly?

Because unless Apple introduced a bug in their network stack that changes the way the packets are handled, I don't see a way the operating system could cause this.

I don't have a D850 myself so I've reached out to someone who can help verify this.

It sounds so impossible though that I'm thinking it must be something else. Could it be that your camera is set up to only take raw photos, and the ShutterSnitch running on your iOS 13.3 device is set to only receive JPEGs, and the one on your iOS 12.4 device is set to receive all files?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:21 pm

I'm afraid "my little helper" doesn't have his D850 anymore, but he was able to test with a Z7 and a D7500 which at the time I added this feature worked the same as the D850.

No issues with either of those on iOS 13.3, so I think your issue may lie elsewhere?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby avlk » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:15 pm

TheBrew wrote:I'm afraid "my little helper" doesn't have his D850 anymore, but he was able to test with a Z7 and a D7500 which at the time I added this feature worked the same as the D850.

No issues with either of those on iOS 13.3, so I think your issue may lie elsewhere?


I found that only the last image is not downloaded right after the shot. Here is video https://youtu.be/VMYH5hBiJv8
avlk
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby avlk » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 pm

TheBrew wrote:Are you testing it with an iOS 12.4 device or do you just mean that it *did* work perfectly?

Because unless Apple introduced a bug in their network stack that changes the way the packets are handled, I don't see a way the operating system could cause this.

I don't have a D850 myself so I've reached out to someone who can help verify this.

It sounds so impossible though that I'm thinking it must be something else. Could it be that your camera is set up to only take raw photos, and the ShutterSnitch running on your iOS 13.3 device is set to only receive JPEGs, and the one on your iOS 12.4 device is set to receive all files?


I worked with an iOS 12.4 and everything was fine until I updated to iOS 13.3
avlk
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby TheBrew » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Interesting - thanks for the video. I've ordered a D850 so I can get to the bottom of this.

While I wait for it to be delivered, can you help me with a little extra info for me to reproduce it:

* Do you connect directly to the camera wi-fi or via a wi-fi network?
* Do you just shoot Basic 6192x4128 jpegs or do you also save raws?
* Are you using two cards?
* What is the speed of the card(s) are you using?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby avlk » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:29 pm

TheBrew wrote:Interesting - thanks for the video. I've ordered a D850 so I can get to the bottom of this.

While I wait for it to be delivered, can you help me with a little extra info for me to reproduce it:
* Do you connect directly to the camera wi-fi or via a wi-fi network?


I connect directly to the camera wi-fi via 'Setup menu' -> 'Wi-Fi' -> 'Establish Wi-Fi connection'. Wi-Fi connection password protected with WPA2

TheBrew wrote:* Do you just shoot Basic 6192x4128 jpegs or do you also save raws?


I shoot almost always shoot Basic 6192x4128 jpegs. Sometimes I shoot sport Basic 8256x5504 jpeg for an extra crop.

TheBrew wrote:* Are you using two cards?


I use two cards simultaneously. XQD as a primary card for culling and Wi-Fi transfer, SD for backup.

TheBrew wrote:* What is the speed of the card(s) are you using?


XQD - Sony R:440 MB/s W:400 MB/s; SD - Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s

Thank you!
avlk
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby TheBrew » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Alright! Received it and tested: Works on my side.. :)

But! I don't have a XQD card, and I've seen event-triggering issues before when using more than one card. Do you have any issues if you take out one of the cards (or just shoot to the SD card as I'm doing?)

..still, that doesn't explain why it would work on iOS 12 and not 13. Did you by any chance start using the XQD at the same time as you upgraded iOS?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby TheBrew » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Geez. That was an expensive bug-fix. :)

Bought an XQD card to test and was able to reproduce the issue you're having.

The problem: I perform duplicate-checking for the incoming events, specifically for these backup-card scenarios. That check got out of step on Nikon cameras but not on Canons. Not a camera issue; they just act a little differently which I need to be mindful of.

Will do some more testing and submit a fixed version to Apple tonight. Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Transfer images with the ‘lock’ button on Nikon D850 iss

Postby avlk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:02 am

TheBrew wrote:Geez. That was an expensive bug-fix. :)

Bought an XQD card to test and was able to reproduce the issue you're having.

The problem: I perform duplicate-checking for the incoming events, specifically for these backup-card scenarios. That check got out of step on Nikon cameras but not on Canons. Not a camera issue; they just act a little differently which I need to be mindful of.

Will do some more testing and submit a fixed version to Apple tonight. Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience.


Wow! Thank you!!!

PS Tested again and found that this issue appears only when ‘Secondary slot function’ set to ‘backup’. In other cases, everything works perfectly.
avlk
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Next

Return to Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests