Time Zone and EXIF problems

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Re: Time Zone and EXIF problems

Postby jmabromata » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:03 pm

Now I'm using "Legacy mode for HEIC Exports"

I will try to convert to HEIC with legacy mode off

EDITED - with both modes, appear like GMT +0000
Last edited by jmabromata on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmabromata

Postby TheBrew » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:06 pm

Oh wait, doh, it’s of course because your version is using the current metadata routines when converting to HEIC - it’ll probably work when you get the updated version that has my fix.. (Maybe..)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jmabromata » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:10 pm

Ok, so I stop to send test from my iPhone till next update, or maybe you want to send some test directly to the FTP (I can create you a temporary account)

Best
jmabromata

Postby TheBrew » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:14 pm

Thanks, but no thanks. As I said, there’s nothing I can do about HEIC anyway. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jmabromata » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:22 pm

Perfect, I'll be waiting the next update (me and a lot of co workers)

Thanks
jmabromata

Postby TheBrew » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:53 pm

After further investigation I don’t see how the update would change the way HEICs look on export. They have the time offset right there in their metadata, so it must be the validation software that either doesn’t support reading it from HEICs or expects the value(s) in a different field.

If you have a HEIC file that does work with the validation software, I’d love to see it. If we’re lucky, the info is in a metadata field that Apple’s HEIF routines support.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jmabromata » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:23 pm

Hello, doing some test with 7.0.3 version, the issue of the Time Zone is solved ONLY with JPG files of Nikon Z9, Z6II & Canon R3.

JPG's with caption, cropped, uncropped or sent with different compressions display the correct Time Zone only exported as JPG.

Unfortunately the Time Zone issue persist exporting as HEIC. I'm using "Legacy Mode for HEIC Exports"

Observation: the HEIF files of Nikon Z9 sent to Shutter Snitch and exported as HEIC or JPG without modifications (crop or caption) keeps the GMT of the camera

iPhone 14 photos still have the Time Zone issue exported as JPG/HEIC edited or untouched

Here two HIF files of Nikon Z9 <removed>

Thanks
Last edited by TheBrew on Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Got the files thanks! Removed - privacy.
jmabromata

Postby TheBrew » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 am

Very nice - I think those files helped me find a solution! "An example file is worth a thousand words". :)

Does the attached file show the timezone offset in your system?
Attachments
JM2_6897.HEIC
(5.69 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby jmabromata » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 pm

Hello, I tested the file you sent me and still have the issue, exported as HEIC or JPG to the FTP server displays GMT +0000

I did more test with the photos taken with iPhone 14 and all options (untouched, cropped, captioned) exported as HEIC or JPG have the issue displaying GMT +0000

Also did test with Canon R3 HIF files and the results are the same of Nikon Z9, only display the correct time zone if exported untouched as HEIC or JPG (cropping or captioning = Time Zone issue)

Thanks, Juan Mabromata
jmabromata

Postby TheBrew » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:22 pm

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear:

If you put that file into your system - without having it touch ShutterSnitch at all - does it parse the timezone offset correctly?

(That file is how an edited HEIC file will look with a new way of adding metadata to it - it's not yet available in the official app.)
TheBrew
The Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs