Wifi disconnection

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Wifi disconnection

Postby athuillier » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

Good morning TheBrew,

I suppose you already aware of this issue.
When I connect a camera (Canon Eos R or Nikon Z6) in wifi to an Iphone, iOS disconnects this link after a minute or so of inactivity, something like a "time out" if there is no transmission (I suppose for energy savings puroposes)
1/ Is there already an option in ShutterSnitch I did not figure out to keep this connection alive ?
2/ If not, do you see a way to to keep it alive ? Something like a ping every 30"... (that you could add in an option of ShutterSnitch)

Thank you
athuillier

Re: Wifi disconnection

Postby TheBrew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:59 am

ShutterSnitch will never time out and cut a connection on purpose - I'd consider that a bug, yes. :)

So I'm guessing it's the camera that disconnects after some idle-time to save battery. Hopefully it's a setting you can turn off.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby NickC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:04 pm

athuillier wrote:Good morning TheBrew,

I suppose you already aware of this issue.
When I connect a camera (Canon Eos R or Nikon Z6) in wifi to an Iphone, iOS disconnects this link after a minute or so of inactivity, something like a "time out" if there is no transmission (I suppose for energy savings purposes)
1/ Is there already an option in ShutterSnitch I did not figure out to keep this connection alive ?
2/ If not, do you see a way to to keep it alive ? Something like a ping every 30"... (that you could add in an option of ShutterSnitch)

Thank you

Hi athuillier, in my experience with my EOS R with the latest firmware, when it's connected via wifi, it does not obey any power save settings, and stays on to maintain wifi connection. This is in both ad-hoc and infrastructure mode. Check on your iOS device that auto-lock is disabled to prevent it from going to sleep.

one note, you're not creating a hotspot with your phone, correct? I don't even know if it's possible to get things to work that way, but i can't reproduce your issue on my end with all OS's up to date, so i'm grasping at straws.
NickC

Postby NickC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Also, another note that helped me. If im around known wireless networks with internet access, iOS will prefer those, or auto join them immediately if the iOS device loses connection to the camera because of range issues, or anything really. So in a recent iOS update, apple now allows you to uncheck auto-join from known wifi networks individually, per device. so if im home, i uncheck my home network because the ipad will prefer to join that network, etc. That may help you.
NickC

Postby athuillier » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Hello theBrew,
Thanks a lot for your help Nick !

in the end, the problem comes from the background refresh.
When shuttersnitch is in the background, iOS switches off the wifi after 2'30" (I think it used to be 1'15" with an older iOS...)
TheBrew, is it possible to add Shuttersnitch in the menu Settings/General/Background App Refresh to be able to let it connected even when it is in the background ?

Tanks a lot
athuillier

Postby NickC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Hmm. Would backpack mode solve this?
NickC

Postby TheBrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:48 pm

When you exit ShutterSnitch you basically tell iOS "Kill this app whenever you wish". :)

If you're inside a collection all services are on, so I take that as a hint that maybe you're just multitasking out to take care of something and you'll return in a moment; so I keep the services on until iOS tells me it's pulling the plug on ShutterSnitch - at which point I turn them off gracefully.

In iOS 12 that timeout is about 3 minutes - but the app's fate is 100% in the hands of iOS, killable at any time if the system needs more memory.

Also good to know: Turning the screen off is the same as exiting the app.

So.. if you want ShutterSnitch to be running, stay inside the app and keep the screen on. As Nick notes, if you want to save some battery you can enter Pocket Mode via the wrench-button. That'll turn the screen brightness all the way down and "lock" the screen to avoid unintentional input if you put the phone/iPad in a pocket.

To answer your question: There's nothing I'd love more than be able to keep the services on when you turn off the screen or exit the app - but Apple doesn't allow that.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby athuillier » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

The problem is when I need to answer phonecalls, or when I check the mails, or when I have to reply to texts. After 2'30" sharp in the background the wifi connection is dead.
So If I understand you correctly there is no solution even in this iOS Background App Refresh functionnality, which I hoped could help to grab some more precious time, and tell the Ios to "Kill this app whenever it wishes" but not exactly every 2'30"
athuillier

Postby TheBrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Yes. If you want ShutterSnitch to be running, stay inside the app.

If you're on an iPad, you could enter split-view and have your mail in one pane and ShutterSnitch in the other.

Believe me, if there was *anything* I could do within the rules Apple have set, I'd do it. Pocket Mode is the closest I can get without having the app pulled from the App Store.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby athuillier » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:41 am

I believe you !!
athuillier

Next

Return to Bugs