MULTIPLE DEVICES

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

MULTIPLE DEVICES

Postby AMYTELLER » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Hello

I am wondering if there is anyway to sync my canons to two iPads.
I have two iPads (both with the same ICLOUD) and both with Shuttersnitch downloaded.

The only thing I see as being a problem is that the host name/number on both is different by one digit.

Is there a way you can manually alter the host number?

Or does anyone know a workaround. Essentially I would like both iPads to be tethered to the same camera.

Thank you!
AMYTELLER

Re: MULTIPLE DEVICES

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:27 pm

The camera only supports talking to one other device at a time.

Do you connect directly to the camera network from the iPad, or does the camera and iPad join the same local wi-fi network and communicate via that?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby AMYTELLER » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:35 pm

I connect both the iPad and camera to the same internet and then go through the regular motions. The second iPad device would be on the same network so essentially I just want the iPads to mirror each other.
AMYTELLER

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Currently there's no built-in "just flip a switch" functionality for this in ShutterSnitch ..but there is a work-around.

I don't know if you've played around with the Action Tasks (the gear-icon) but using those actions, you can have ShutterSnitch do something whenever a new file arrives. That 'something' could be to transfer the file to another location - such as your other iPad.

If you don't see the gear-icon in the toolbar when you're inside a collection, tap and hold the title-bar to customize it and drag the icon from the 'drawer' up in the toolbar and tap 'Done'.

The simple 'just transfer' solution
On the iPad you'll be using to connect to the camera, tap the gear-icon, tap 'Edit' and then 'Add new task'.
Call the task 'Transfer to other iPad'. Tap the plus-sign and add 'Export to location'.
Add a new 'WebDAV' location and in the 'Host' field put in the numbers you see at the top of the screen of the other iPad when you enter a collection.
Change the port to be 8080.
Set the 'Username' to be snitch and the password is the superuser password you set on the other iPad when you installed ShutterSnitch.
Save it, select it, and tap the 'Edit task'-back-button to return to your new action task.
Tap the 'Action Tasks'-back-button to return to the Action Tasks overview.
Now tap 'Done' and move the slider down to the new task you just added.

Whenever a new file is received, it'll now be pushed to the other iPad.

The more advanced 'what could possibly go wrong' syncing solution
I've attached two configuration files that'll set a Rube Goldberg machine of Action Tasks up for you. What it does:
* When the Master receives a file or when you change the rating or label of a file, it'll push that file to the Slave.
* When a file is rated/labeled on the Slave, it'll push it to the Master.
As you can imagine, there's a chance that two users are rating/labeling the same file at the same time, so ..things can go wrong.. :) But I just wanted you to have the opportunity to try it / play around with it.
Note that the metadata of the files is used for the state-changes, so if keeping the file-metadata untouched is important to you, then don't use this solution.
To add a configuration, simply tap the attached ssconfig from the iPad you want to add it on. Make sure you're running the latest ShutterSnitch version (4.7.3). Don't worry about the red text that says settings will be overwritten - it's just one field that'll be updated ('re-evaluate actions after rating').
Since these configuration files are made for my iPads on my network, the IP addresses will be different on yours, so you'll have to go in and adjust the WebDAV location Host fields on both to match yours. Be sure to also add the username (snitch) and your password too.
On the Master you'd pick the 'Master Receiver' action task as the default task to be performed and on the Slave, it's the 'Export to Master' one.
Attachments
Sync_Slave.ssconfig
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Sync_Master.ssconfig
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby AMYTELLER » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Ah the task forwarding works perfectly. Thank you so much for your help. Genius!
AMYTELLER

Return to Other Questions