ShutterSnitch and ethernet connection

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

ShutterSnitch and ethernet connection

Postby Brega » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi, I’m Roberto, photographer in Milan, Italy, I’had already asked You some months ago if it was possible to connect my Canon 1Dx Mk2 with the iPad Pro with a ethernet cable instead of with Wi-fi. You replied me that at that time it was not possible but now a friend of mine who works for an important photography agency told me that now it is possible. Is it true?
Thanks.
Brega

Re: ShutterSnitch and ethernet connection

Postby TheBrew » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Your previous question was about importing via a USB cable, which is not supported.

If you connect your iOS device to your camera via an Ethernet cable that’s another story. As long as the communication happens over a TCP network there’s a chance it’ll work. I don’t have a 1Dx Mk2 but since your friend says it’s possible maybe they can help you set it up?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Brega » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 pm

No, my friend can’t help me. But can I give an IP address (not wi-fi) to ShutterSnitch?
Brega

Postby GulfCoastShots » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi, Brega, you most certainly can get an Ethernet-only connection to work with ShutterSnitch. I can walk you through the cabling tricks required, and if you shoot Nikon I can help you with the settings as well. I also teach networking at a university, so hopefully can eliminate any clouds around addressing and such. I use my setup to post a few branded images during sports events to a dropbox folder that is monitored by/shared with the sports communications directors at games that they can attach to their tweets live. It's a learning curve and I'm sad to say the documentation is just nonexistent / unhelpful, but it works. I shoot with Nikon D5s with built-in Ethernet.
GulfCoastShots

Return to Other Questions