Backup is mixing up Folders and not bringing all over?

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Backup is mixing up Folders and not bringing all over?

Postby TattooedMac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 am

Ok i seem to be having a problem with the Backups. First, it isn't backing up at all, once i have made a change within ShutterSnitch, ie: Making a new collection and then moving images into that collection. Ive done this right now, because I'm having a ShutterSnitch problem which ill be posting in the appropriate Sub-Forum.
Anyways back to this. I opened ShutterSnitch before i went out on a shoot, and the Backup App on my Mac found ShutterSnitch and did a Backup. (I didn't check if it backed up ok before i left)

I get home from the shoot, and move images around, because of another ShutterSnitch problem, and once i was done, i asked the Backup App to check for changes, and it hasn't done a thing. I tried again, and again, and again, and nothing.
Now i went into my Backup Folder, and had a look around, and i have a mixed bunch of Photos in there. I have the Slider set to Backup All, and in my Best of the Best (I have my 5 Star images in there) and i have 3 images that haven't been starred and should be in another Folder altogether.

This is where it gets interesting, because of having to move images around ( I'll get to that in the ShutterSnitch Bug Forum) they are not updated in the Backup Folder. I stll have those images in the Old Collection on my Mac and not the new Collection as i have in ShutterSnitch ??? Yes confusing . . . Here ½ hour further on and i have nothing changed in the Backup . . .

While I'm on the backup, is there any reason what so ever that it has to sit in my Documents Folder ?? Can i edit a .plist or something to have it in my Pictures Folder where all my images should be ??
Thanks and look forward to some suggestions or fixes. Ill write the ShutterSnitch problem now up ^^^^

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller
TattooedMac

Re: Backup is mixing up Folders and not bringing all over?

Postby TheBrew » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 pm

I think you may have misunderstood the role of ShutterSnitch Backup.

Its purpose is to download newly saved or changed files from ShutterSnitch. 'Collections' is not a concept in SSB. The folder names are simply there to keep the original file names.
If you want to manage your photos, you should have an app that does that import newly backed up photos.

Aperture, Lightroom, and iPhoto for example have en auto-import folder. If you go into the SSB settings (Show status -> Settings button) you can set it up to copy or move new photos to that specific folder.

In the settings dialog you can also pick another backup-folder if you wish.

Are the files you rate by any chance not JPEGs? In that case the rating is not saved to the file, and therefore the file doesn't need "backing up".

I definitely see that it would be smart if SSB could make sure that the entire backup folder reflected exactly the file layout you have in ShutterSnitch. Then it would be ShutterSnitch Sync. Maybe one day.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Re: Backup is mixing up Folders and not bringing all over?

Postby TattooedMac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 am

Yea probably in a way, i misunderstood, but i still expect it to back up ALL images, disregarding Folders/Collections within the App. Im missing 5 images from the Backup that are still in ShutterSnitch. ??
As for the Starred images, they are in a Collection, but only one comes up in the Shoot that i did of them, and missing 4 others. I suppose i need to look into it further and see what i come up with. Ill let you know if it doesn't back up all images, and NO they are all .jpeg, as my RAW (NEF) go straight to Aperture.

Thanks for the reply anyways

TM

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller
TattooedMac

Return to Bugs