Average transfer time of low-quality jpegs 8 seconds?

Help and ask for help on Transcend Wi-Fi card related problems

Average transfer time of low-quality jpegs 8 seconds?

Postby epulicious » Sun May 18, 2014 8:49 pm

hey guys,
hey thebrew,

I have a question. I want to build my own photobooth with my ipad 3 + shuttersnitch. The complete setup:
Canon 7D with CF Adapter + Transcend Wifi (32GB)
iPad 3 16GB and
Shuttersnitch.

the time it takes for shuttersnitch to receive and show a photo appears to be too long for my liking. sometimes it's 13 seconds, the best time I had was 6seconds. In average it takes 8 seconds. as you can imagine, for a photobooth this is a little too long (the guys don't want to wait 8-13 seconds to see whether or not their picture is ok).

We've run this with the complete default settings and the lowest possible setting for jpeg. RAW even takes longer (30-40 seconds per image)..

what we've observed is kind of strange. it takes about 5 seconds until the app says "receiving file". the moment it starts receiving it, it seems to be super fast. I mean I know that it takes time until the camera has stored the file on the card, but 5 seconds until the app starts responding can not be considered as a good timing, can it? :-)

do you have an idea on how to improve this? I'd love to see a time at around 2 seconds (that's what the article told me that lead me to your app).. otherwise this app was a waste of money for me :(

thanks buddy!

PS: tried it with the iPhone 5S too. it's not faster for me
epulicious

Re: Average transfer time of low-quality jpegs 8 seconds?

Postby TheBrew » Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 pm

What card were they using in the article?

It sounds like they were using a WFT grip - with those you get almost instant initiation of transfers. With wi-fi cards, you'll have to wait for the card to get ready and transfer or for ShutterSnitch to download the card contents to see what's new.

Perhaps you can shave off some seconds if you use an Eye-Fi card instead of the Transcend card, but if you want real speed you'll want to go with the WFT-E5 (read: the expensive solution).
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby epulicious » Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 pm

apparently they're using an Eye-Fi. Will try it with this one and tell you about the difference it makes once it arrives. what are your experiences with timings? is it possible to reach 2 seconds without going for this WFT-E5? :)
epulicious

Postby TheBrew » Sun May 18, 2014 10:21 pm

It takes less than 2 seconds from shutter release to initiation of a transfer on my WFT-E4 + 5D Mark II.

About 4 seconds from snap to display of a 5 megapixel JPEG (600KB) on my retina iPad mini.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Transcend Wi-Fi cards