Setting up your connection

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Re: Setting up your connection

Postby Andreas (GER) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 am

Hi sunnysix,

thanks for the great post. I've been looking for a way to connect my Canon WFT-E2 to my iPad in order to use shuttersnitch (a very superb App indeed) for weeks now. I almost bought a mobile router or was fixing to jailbreak my iphone in order to use mywi.

You made my day with your post - well almost ... :)

I carefully setup my WFT and my iPad with your described settings. I am getting a stable wlan connection and shuttersnitch is listening on port 26000 ip 192.168.1.2. My camera seems to be transfering something (lan led blinks green) but the screen of my iPad stays black within Shuttersnitch. The collection stays empty quoting "no images"

Any idea what could be going wrong???

Is the communication mode (ftptrans., eosutility, wftserver) of any relevanz? I've tried all three. Sorry but I have no experience with networks. I am actually a network dummy :(.

Thanks in advance for any help

Best regards
Andreas (GER)
Andreas (GER)

Postby Andreas (GER) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:14 am

...sorry I totally forgot to thank Melson. Thanks Melson! Your the one that actually came up with the idea.

Best Regards
Andreas (GER)
Andreas (GER)

Postby Andreas (GER) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am

I found the problem:

Camera settings (WFT-settings | FTP Server setup)
The directory structure must be set to "default". I had changed it to "camera"

Communication Mode: FTP trans.
Andreas (GER)

Postby Cris » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Guys,

As promised here is a little look behind the scenes of our shoot using ShutterSnitch last week...

http://www.vimeo.com/13502071

Overall I thought it was fantastic, I think I have some feature suggestions but it's great as is to be honest. It was especially useful for the make up artist to keep track of any touch ups needed and for the models to stay in position while being able to still see how they are looking.

Having no wires was the best bit for me, the battery life on the iPad is amazing, we shot for the whole day and still had over 50% charge left!

The AdHoc method worked flawlessly, it kept things super simple.

Let me know what you think of the video :)

Cheers

Cris.
Cris

Postby TheBrew » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 am

Very nice Cris! Thanks for pimping it in the text :)

Feel free to pour out your suggestions in the feature requests thread!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Andreas (GER) wrote:I found the problem:

Camera settings (WFT-settings | FTP Server setup)
The directory structure must be set to "default". I had changed it to "camera"

Communication Mode: FTP trans.

Hi Andreas!

I am having the same problem with the same setup, both camera and transmitter. I am trying to follow your solution, but cannot find where should I change the directory structure, and also I am confused as to weather the communication mode should be FTP transfer orFTP Server. Could you please clarify? Thanks in advance, I am almost there!
Enrique

Postby wow_producer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Sunnysix - I have the Canon EOS 7D and using the WFT-E5A and the settings you describe also work with this system. It took awhile for me to make this work because my iPad 3G would not connect to the WFT AdHoc network without a WEP Password. I thought it would be helpful to post the menu settings for both the WFT-E5A and the iPad. The pairing works great in my home, now the real test will be in Times Square. Without your post, I would have spent more hours trying to make this work.
Attachments
ShutterSnitch Canon 7D Settings.jpg
Canon EOS 7D / WFT-E5A Menu Settings
ShutterSnitch Canon 7D Settings.jpg (291.98 KiB) Viewed 12025 times
wow_producer

Postby Areakphotos » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 am

sunnysix wrote:2 weeks and still no luck for me. Is there a step by step guide that anyone has because everything posted skips some of the options on the wft-e4a. Please, this is driving me nuts! Trying to setup a 5dmkii with iPad 3G. I have myfi, shuttersitch and have no clue why nothing is working. Thanks!

Got it working!

Melson got me on the right track! Thanks!

Adhoc server from the WFT, Ipad with shuttersnitch listening in. No other necessary devices, just the Canon 5D M2, Canon WFT E4A and my Ipad 64GB WIFI(Not 3G!):D Tested the range, 50 Ft easy through doors and walls. I shoot away from the iPad, and by the time I walk back to it, the images are already there! Magic!

Some things to consider(as a network illiterate):

On the WFT Utility:

On the FTP Settings Tab, the server target should be the same on the ipad's static address, and shuttersnitch's listening IP.

It should aslo be identical to the TCP/IP server ID, except for the last number in the series (e.g. 192.168.1.1 on the TCP/IP, the target server and Ipad's static IP should be 192.168.1.2) Those are my actual settings, by the way, so it surely works.

Just to illustrate, here are my working settings:

My settings on the WFT Utility:

TCP/IP tab:

IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

FTP Setting Tab:

Target Server: 192.168.1.2
Port Number: 26000

Wireless Lan Tab:

SSID: WFT Adhoc (This will come out as the name of the Adhoc Wifi Network)
Connection Method: Ad hoc 11g
Channel: 11

On the Ipad:

Once the WFT is turned on, the Ipad should automatically discover the WFT Adhoc Network thru WIFI.
Go to the settings tab and input on the static IP:

IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.2

Wait a while for the connection to set up. The DHCP will eventually change to the same as the static's settings. This has to happen first before continuing to shuttersnitch.

Open shuttersnitch, log on as superuser using your password.

Open a collection(you can only connect if you're inside a collection) and look at the listening info.

If you followed everything carefully, the listening info should register as:

IP address: 192.168.1.2
Port: 26000

Then you're good to go!

Works like a charm for me!

Thanks to all those who contributed!

PS. shuttersnitch is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! Especially the crop overlay feature which is EXTREMELY useful! I hope more features will come in!
Areakphotos

Postby CP1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Although not adding much new insights, I wanted to share my blog post explaining the WFT-E4-II setup with ad hoc WLAN link to iPad.
http://cpphotoblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/send-jpg-pictures-from-canon-eos-to.html

Thanks for developping this gem.
CP1

Postby SteveNiedorf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm

CP1 wrote:Although not adding much new insights, I wanted to share my blog post explaining the WFT-E4-II setup with ad hoc WLAN link to iPad.
http://cpphotoblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/send-jpg-pictures-from-canon-eos-to.html

Thanks for developping this gem.
CP1: I just want to thank-you for your time and generosity in providing the excellent and complete step-by-step set-up instructions. I would have NEVER been able to get up and running without your help.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Steve Niedorf
SteveNiedorf

PreviousNext

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi