Slow changing between pictures

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Slow changing between pictures

Postby msatter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Since version 2.71, never used 2.70, I experience slow changing between pictures. At max cache size 1920 it takes about 6 seconds before the next picture is displayed. At max cache size 800 it takes about 3 seconds before the next picture is displayed. I tested a small collection of 50 pictures and which is 78 MB in size.

When I wait about 10 seconds then the next picture is fast but for the next I have to wait again.

iPad first edition IOS 4.3 JB and free memory 100 MB.

Update: after going back to 2.50 all is so smooth now and I am back at max cache size 1280. I have to wait a while before I can browse faster on large collections.

My latest backup version is 2.50 and how can I go back to the 2.6 version?
msatter

Re: Slow changing between pictures

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:25 am

Sounds like your cache files were cleared and they need rebuilding.

P.S.: You should really consider getting a newer iPad if you want to keep up with the evolution. You won't regret it. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 am

msatter wrote:..how can I go back to the 2.6 version?

You can only do that if you have a backup of it.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby msatter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 pm

It is an pity that you can't provide a previous version of ShutterSnitch and that I have to look in the dark corners of the internet for it.

I bought the iPad specific to using ShutterSnitch after reading about it on the site of Rob Gailbraith. I have looked a faster version of the iPad but was not happy about the way they introduced newer version in the time-path. Next to that I am not happy that Apple is telling me what I can't do instead of telling me what I can do so probably this is my first Apple product and also my last one. :-(
In daily life I use an Android phone and a Android tablet to do everything I want to do.

Is there any way that I can check if the cache rebuild is still running?
msatter

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

msatter wrote:Is there any way that I can check if the cache rebuild is still running?

No, it'll just eventually be done.

Good to know: Whenever you change the cache file size in the settings, the old ones will be erased and things will be slow for a while until they are rebuilt again.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 am

I may have found and fixed the reason for the slow browsing you're experiencing. Look forward to version 2.8.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby msatter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for looking further in this! :-)

I have a suggestion how to show that a collection is in a cache rebuild phase. You could use the same icon and routine, which is showing that the photo is being analysed after Shuttersnitch received it.

The reason I changed the max cache size was that I bought an other camera which produces also pictures in 1920x1280 pixels so I thought it would be easier for Shuttersnitch to be able to put those directly into the cache.
msatter

Postby msatter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm

I just used 2.8 version of ShutterSnitch and the long showing of the analysing sign is now gone. However my original problem is not yet fixed entirely.

I found the next two differences in behaviour of ShutterSnitch:

- I create a new album, receive four pictures and wait a few seconds until all are displayed in the thumbnail bar. When I now try to switch between the pictures it takes at least a second before the next picture is shown. When I go back to an other collection the switching between pictures also became slow.

- I create a new album and then restart ShutterSnitch (home button on the iPad and tick ShutterSnitch) then I receive four pictures then the switching between the pictures is instantly. Also switching is instantly in the other collections.

So without restarting ShutterSnitch after creating a new collection ShutterSnitch gets really slow on my iPad. Opening collections takes a lot longer and receiving pictures and analysing also is much slower. I think that all other function are also slower in ShutterSnitch when after creating a collection I don't restart ShutterSnitch.

It is a pitty that I did not recognize exact behaviour the last time because I was fixated on the re-indexing of the cache rebuild.
msatter

Postby msatter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:44 pm

BTW this odd behaviour of slow switching without restarting ShutterSnitch is also present in the 2.5.0 version of ShutterSnitch.
msatter

Postby msatter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

@TheBrew

Did you had some time to look in this difference in speed after creating a collection or re-entering a collection?
msatter

Next

Return to Bugs