ftp upload upsizes from original size when pre-processing

Bugreports = Bugfixes

ftp upload upsizes from original size when pre-processing

Postby tip » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 am

When I create a ftp location, I can choose a pre-process action (brilliant feature, BTW!).

When I then choose "Original size", I thought the "original file" gets uploaded.
Looking at the file information of a particular file in SS (choosing from the filmstrip thumbnail), I see: 1280*1920px at a size of 658.612

Yet I found that I end up with a much larger file on my ftp server, in this case 5.32 MB (!)

(If I add a resize to mid-size in pre-processing, things are working as expected, fast upload, small filesize.)

Do you know what's happening here?

(iOS 6.1.3 on iphone 4)
tip

Re: ftp upload upsizes from original size when pre-processin

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Do you have an FTP client on your computer that you can try to connect to ShutterSnitch with?

Then you can see the file structure of the collection. If you go find that file, what size is it?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:39 pm

The file has 728KB on the iphone/ in the collection
tip

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Could you attach both the 728KB and 5.32 MB file here? (Or if you don't want to share that photo, take an "anonymous" photo and re-create the issue - then share those.)

It's important that you get the small file via the FTP client on your computer, so it's the untouched file. (Don't let it go through the Photos app.)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Another question: can you re-create the issue with another photo?

If not, perhaps the file was simply appended to an existing file up on the server..
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Here are the files. The ftp upload option was set for the orig size; this happened with other files as well.

Upon downloading the UPsized file from the ftp, I noticed it was corrupted (other examples had the same issue).
Maybe this has to do with adding a (text) watermark?
Last edited by tip on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tip

Postby TheBrew » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks! I'm swamped at the moment, but I hope to be back within the next 24 hours.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 am

Regarding the watermarking and your very first post: if you pick "Original size" it will be the original file unless you also choose to watermark it.

I can't seem to hit the perfect failure setting here, it works fine whatever I do. So I wonder what's different from our setups / if we're doing things differently.

Can you describe exactly what you do to make this fail?

What is the filename when you export? (Since you renamed to describe them when uploading here.)

Do you do it through Actions or just tap the export to 'Other Location' and tap the FTP location?

What is all of your FTP settings (feel free to anonymize the Host name, username, password :) and what is your Pre-process settings?

What kind of iOS device are you using and which iOS version?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby tip » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

Hi,
am busy with other things, will get back to you with more documentation asap.
iOS version - see end of first post.
tip

Postby TheBrew » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:46 pm

No rush. :)

More questions: are these uploads done via the mobile network or wi-fi? To a local server or external?
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Bugs