Slow wifi speeds in crowded stadiums

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Slow wifi speeds in crowded stadiums

Postby syd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:19 am

Hi everyone,
Long time Shuttersnitch user. Of late, I'm getting really slow transfer speeds between my WFT and iOS devices running Shutternsnith.
This is with both the iOS device setting up a Personal Hotspot and infrastructure Wifi (typically provided to Media/Photographers).

For example, if I try to send a "s" jpeg from a 1DX to the iOS device on the field, it might take 3 min. If I go off the field into the media room it'll take 3 seconds. Again, this is with both Personal Hotspot (ad hoc) and Infrastructure.

I've put it down to congestion when on the field. Thousands of smartphones all polling for wifi networks.
Given the problem occurs with both infrastructure and ad-hoc networks, I'm guessing that having a portable wifi router so my camera and iOS device can connect won't really help as as soon as I turn the portable router on it will also get flooded and the transfer speed will slow down to a crawl.

I'd love to hear ideas/suggestions/workarounds to this problem as I'm finding the wireless transfer option to be next to useless at stadium settings.
May I can get a "cage" to cover my camera and iOS device that shields out other devices???
syd

Re: Slow wifi speeds in crowded stadiums

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:20 pm

If you want to get creative with a pair of scissors and all you need is a connection between the two devices, I wonder if this bag is big enough.

An alternative could possibly come with iOS 10 if they add an option to manually configure the IP address of the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter (connected via a Lightning to USB3 adapter). Then you could hook up a wired connection to the WFT. Although for that to work, the Lightning to USB3 adapter needs to be powered. I wonder if an external battery could deliver enough power.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby syd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:29 pm

I was wondering about a Faraday cage approach - will give it a try.
Also,
- I'm rigging up battery power for a Cfast reader with this splitter cable http://www.cablemagic.com.au/computer-cables-cat5/usb-cable/mini-4-port-usb-2-0-480mbps-high-speed-cable-hub-pc.html
- I hadn't heard that you could run wired ethernet with iOS10 - I'm running the beta now, where do I find more info about it? Is it in the developer docs somewhere?
syd

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:39 pm

syd wrote:- I hadn't heard that you could run wired ethernet with iOS10 - I'm running the beta now, where do I find more info about it? Is it in the developer docs somewhere?

You can already do it with iOS 9 on newer devices - but there's no visible indication of the ethernet interface. So it'll only work if you have a DHCP server on the network it can pull an IP from.
To get the WFT up and running with that, you'd need to set a static IP for the ethernet adapter and on iOS 9 Apple hasn't put together that interface yet. But on iOS 10 beta 2 it actually showed a blank network menu when the adapter was connected (I just had to downgrade my iOS 10 beta to 9.3.3, so I can't test if they've come further in the current beta 3). But I'd be surprised if that's not what they're working on opening up.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby syd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 pm

TheBrew wrote:...Then you could hook up a wired connection to the WFT.

Actually you don't even need the WFT - The 1DX (and D4s/D5) has an ethernet port. It doesn't have a DHCP server so the iOS device might not be able to get an IP address.
Certainly going to keep an eye on this - have posted a Q on the Seed discussions.
syd

Postby syd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:43 pm

TheBrew wrote:...the Lightning to USB3 adapter needs to be powered. I wonder if an external battery could deliver enough power.

I have a Lightning to USB2 adapter - no power required for that. Will try that first.
syd

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:45 pm

syd wrote:It doesn't have a DHCP server so the iOS device might not be able to get an IP address.

Yeah, there's not really any need for a DHCP server as long as both devices can be set up to have a static IP. I'm pretty sure that'll be possible in iOS 10. Will keep you updated when the next beta comes out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:51 pm

syd wrote:
TheBrew wrote:...the Lightning to USB3 adapter needs to be powered. I wonder if an external battery could deliver enough power.

I have a Lightning to USB2 adapter - no power required for that. Will try that first.

Another tricky thing is finding a USB ethernet adapter which is supported natively by iOS. Naturally, the Apple one does. :)

Also, I think it the non-powered lightning to USB adapter doesn't work with ethernet USB. Not enough power.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby syd » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:23 am

Got the components and did some testing:

Objective was to see if ios device could get onto the web via DHCP address on LAN.
And connect to Shuttersnitch
1. iPad Pro. Wifi model. iOS 10 Beta 3.
Ethernet works.
2. IPhone 5. iOS 10 Beta 3.
Ethernet works
3. iPhone 6s Plus. iOS 10 Beta 3.
NO Ethernet. Doesn't want to play with the adapter.

Second test was to connect iOS device to Canon 1Dx directly without DHCP server.
Currently, there is no ability to set a static IP address on the iOS device. However, the iOS device seems to be able to obtain a self assigned IP address in the 169.x.x.x space. If I connect the iOS device to a MacBook both devices get an IP address and the iOS device is reachable. If I then unplug the MacBook and plug in the camera I can get the camera to upload to Shuttersnitch just fine using the sel assigned IP.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to trick the iOS device to activate the Ethernet interface and get a self assigned IP with just the camera. A MacBook is needed. There seems to be some signalling between the iOS device and the Mac to initiate the respective OSes to activate the interface and present an IP address.

Guess we'll have to wait a bit more unless Shuttersnitch can mimic a connection and get the ios device to activate itself with a self assigned IP.
syd

Postby MadDawgJ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:01 pm

syd wrote:Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to trick the iOS device to activate the Ethernet interface and get a self assigned IP with just the camera

What about if you turn on the Personal Hotspot in iOS with the camera connected? Seems like that might trigger the connection and an IP.
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi