Postby mishimayuki » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi,
my setup is:
iPhone 6 with iOS 10.2
SS v. 3.7.1 (11839)

Toshiba Flashair W03 32GB
Canon 5D MkIII
Canon 1D MKIII

I have setup SS to only download protected images from the flashair in my camera, but it keeps downloading just every image once it is written by the camera on the flashair.
I imagined that with that setting SS would not download any image, although my collection folder was open and then waiting, and would instead wait to sense the lock/protection tag in the files before starting to selectively download them, it did not work.
Then I thought that perhaps SS does not check twice the same file to look for the protect tag and imagined it does it only every time its collection folders are opened. So I tagged a few new pictures in the flashair, while keeping all the SS collections closed, and opened one collection only after some pictures of the new take were tagged, but SS just downloaded all the new pictures regardless.
I suspect that there is some incompatibility between the version of SS and the rest of the setup as I'm not able either to change the background color in SS, not that I care but it could flag something missing in the setup. It's very important for my workflow that I can ftp to a remote server only the images that I chose from the back of the camera, without having to tamper on my iphone or ipad (it does not work with my iPadair either, same system soft.)
Is that a known issue?

thanks
Yukio
mishimayuki

Re: DOWNLOAD ONLY PROTECTED FILE setting does not work

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

The "Download only protected files" option is exclusive to Canon cameras communicating/transferring via the PTP/IP protocol.

Using FlashAir, I'm afraid your out of luck.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby mishimayuki » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
Do you know of any other card brand that can use/implement the PTP/IP protocol? I've been looking into some Lue solution for the flashair, but no luck so far.
I could use the Canon module for the 1DMKIV or the D1x, but I'd like to have a one size fits all solution as sometimes I'm shooting Sony too.
Thanks anyway

Yukio
mishimayuki

Postby TheBrew » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 pm

No, so far, only the Canon cameras with built-in wi-fi offer access to the "protected" state of a file.

I'm not sure if the latest Eyefi mobi cards still offer the option to only send the protected ones - maybe look into that.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby mishimayuki » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Thank you again
Re Eye-fi, after trying to use them for a while I've decided to stay away from them :-)
rgdds

Yukio

PS I'd like to set up an action that deletes the raw files after they have been downloaded from the flashair. Can't find delete in the preset commands. Any way to automate it?

thks
mishimayuki

Postby TheBrew » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:39 pm

I decided a delete action would be too destructive.

A better way would be to create a collection called "Trash" for example. Then pick the "Move to collection" action and point it to "Trash". That way you also get an undo buffer if you accidentally delete something.

When you want to empty the trash, just enter the "Trash" collection, tap the toolbar-button with an arrow going out of a box, tap the half-filled circle in the bottom right-hand corner of the filmstrip to select all photos and then choose to delete them.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby mishimayuki » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks my.
This is what I'm actually doing at the moment. The only problem (happened before with iPhotos that uses the same buffer system - "recently deleted") is that, because I rather use the iPhone for the purpose of live streaming jpegs with their wav, the phone would be soon filled up with raw files (I have to shoot also raw for archiving reasons). I can't use the 'Download only jpegs' option because I need to download the .WAV files that go with the images too.
Life is complicated :-)
cheers

Yukio
mishimayuki

Postby mishimayuki » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Adding,
at the moment I bypassed the 'download only protected' that works only with the PTP/IP for the canon module, by having my camera writing and reading on card A and manually copying the images that I want to download to card B in the second slot where I put the flashair. Problem is you can't copy only jpegs but just the jpg+Raw image. So as soon as the image is copied onto the slot B (flashair), it gets downloaded into the opened collection as jpg+raw+wav. There are a few actions then that discriminate the different files to proper destinations.
Yukio
mishimayuki

Return to Bugs