App price

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

App price

Postby Ramgoofy » Thu May 20, 2010 8:47 pm

I will buy this app, but not at it's current price. Please contact me when the price for ShutterSnitch is more reasonable.

Ram
Ramgoofy

Re: App price

Postby zilman » Fri May 21, 2010 3:08 am

Considering that you probably spent several hundred dollars on your camera and an Eye-Fi, WF, etc the price is perfectly reasonable. Cheap even. Get some perspective.
zilman

Postby TheBrew » Tue May 25, 2010 9:59 am

Hehe, interesting how value for money has changed after the App Store launched.

Where I live, 8 bucks will get you a pizza. ..minus delivery :) and it doesn't even have to taste good.

Maybe I'm in the wrong business.. ;)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Russ » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

A few cups of coffee at Starbucks here. The market is small for this app I suspect so not sure how low you could go. Fortunately the iPad app prices seem to be a bit higher than iPhone apps so developers can perhaps put some food on the table but seems 4-5 is a wall for some. It would be an interesting experiment to see if a sale price of 3.99 would have any impact but you'd have to double your sales for that to be worthwhile.
Russ

Postby TheBrew » Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, the very specific use of the app means very few customers. Not enough to put food on the table for sure.

I came to the decision that the price must be set from the value of the features and the support needed per customer.

I'm hoping that these forums will evolve and provide enough support on its own - when that happens I can (and will) knock down the price.

Thanks for your input!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ranger 9 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 am

The price may be high by App Store standards, but is very reasonable for what it does. (If you spend $700 for a Nikon WT-4 wireless transmitter, you know what they give you for receiving software? Nothing, that's what! If you want to do on a laptop what ShutterSnitch does on an iPad, you need to give Nikon another $200!)

In fact, I would have been happy to pay more for ShutterSnitch if it would buy faster updates and bug fixes. (Although I know the App Store approval process is the real bottleneck. Would you believe the first thing I do every morning is check the App Store to see if there's an update yet? Yes, I know, I'm such a geek...)

Seriously,though, I think there's a bigger market for this than you think. I can't imagine anyone who owns a EyeFi card and an iPhone/iPad NOT wanting it, not to mention anyone who has spent big bucks for a Canon or Nikon WiFi transmitter.

But it goes beyond that. Has anyone read Thom Hogan's interesting blog post "The Camera Redefined"? http://www.bythom.com/design2010.htm Basically, he asks the sensible question "If I can snap a photo and email it from my $299 iPhone, why can't I do the same from my $7,999 Nikon D3x?" He then goes on to outline his ideas about the convergence of imaging and messaging, which he thinks is coming "soon."

Guess what, Hogan, I think it's already here. I just bought a $90 battery-powered wireless router that lets me connect my Eye-Fi-equipped Lumix, my WT-4-equipped Nikon, and my ShutterSnitch-equipped iPad anywhere. The router is already preconfigured with all the device addresses, so all I have to do is switch it on and everything connects. From there, the router just sits in my camera bag and the shots flow from the cameras to the iPad, ready to be reviewed, mailed, etc.

I'm going to be explaining this on my own blog (http://ranger9.net) just as soon as a few of the current ShutterSnitch bugs get ironed out -- which is one reason I'm checking the App Store every day!

In the meantime, just hold the thought that convergence is what everybody wants -- and right now, ShutterSnitch is what brings it to the iPhone/Pad!
Ranger 9

Postby TheBrew » Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 am

Oh boy, what I wouldn't give for a faster review process.. I usually have a bug fixed within a day or two - and then it's all about the waiting game. The current update has been waiting since May 13th. But was rejected on May 20th because of ..I probably can't say that out loud.. but it was a funny little detail. But that meant that I could put in the latest features+optimizations in 1.1.3 that was scheduled for 1.1.4, so it's not all bad.
Since it usually takes a week I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a release today or tomorrow..!

Thanks for your patience and perspective :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Return to Eye-Fi