Shuttersnitch 4.2.6 with iPad Pro and Canon wit transmitter

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Shuttersnitch 4.2.6 with iPad Pro and Canon wit transmitter

Postby Brega » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:33 am

Hello, I’ve updated Shuttersnitch at the new version but now, when I try to “send” the picture from my Canon 1dx Mark 2 to the iPad Pro, if the IPTC information are set and enabled on camera the App crashes. The app works well if IPTC information aren’t set on camera.
Brega

Re: Shuttersnitch 4.2.6 with iPad Pro and Canon wit transmi

Postby TheBrew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 am

I submitted version 4.2.7 for review yesterday - which fixes a similar issue with photos from Nikon D5 cameras. So there’s a good chance it’s already fixed when Apple approves it ..hopefully later today.

But just to be sure, I’d love to know exactly what causes the Canon crash - could you post one of these JPEGs (that you’ve gotten directly off the card)?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Brega » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:26 am

Help, I upload here the original test file with IPTC informations. I’ve also downloaded the new 4.2.7 version but I cannot transfer file from the Canon to Shuttersnitch on iPad Pro.
Thanks. Roberto
Attachments
_T3I8324.JPG
_T3I8324.JPG (8.86 MiB) Viewed 4103 times
Brega

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks - I can reproduce the bug using your photo. I'll fix and submit version 4.2.8 for review today! Hopefully it'll hit the App Store within the coming days.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Brega » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:41 am

Great!!
Brega

Postby Brega » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 am

Hi, with Version 4.2.8, the file transfert works perfectly.Thanks!
The only thing that doesn’t work for MY workflow is that opening files with Lightroom Mobile the IPTC informations disappear. I presume that’s a choice, I don’t know if it’s your choice or a choice of Adobe. Do You think that it will change in the future?
Thanks again.
Brega

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 am

Good grief.. Feels like I'm tuning a Rube Goldberg machine here.. :)

No, I'm aiming for perfection, so it seems there's still something wrong.

Using your previously attached photo I have no issue with losing the IPTC information (after applying a few edits) - but I open it with Photoshop and Lightroom on my Mac.

Can you tell me exactly what to do/look for to reproduce the issue you're experiencing? What steps do you take to open it in Lightroom Mobile?

Did it work fine prior to you posting this topic?

I don't have a CC account, so I'm not sure if I'm missing any features in my Lightroom Mobile - I only see 'Title', 'Caption', 'Copyright' metadata when looking at the file information. And yes, there I only see your name in the 'Copyright' field. The other two are blank - but that is also the case for the untouched file you attached here. Is there a way to get to the IPTC information that I haven't found?
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Brega » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Sorry but I probably explained myself badly. Importing files from camera to iPad works perfectly and in Shuttersnitch the IPTC informations arrive correctly now .... but they get lost when transferred from Shutterrsnitch to Lightroom Mobile.
I'll explain my workfolw: I transfer the file from my Canon to the iPad via Shuttersnitch. In Shuttersnitch I set the "action" for saving the file on the iPad camera roll. At the same time Lightroom Mobile is set to open into a preselected Album all images that enter the camera roll. Once I've edited the file with Lightroom I upload it on the Agency FTP. Working in sports photography I need to be as fast as possible to transmit my photos to the Agency and I have not time to write all basic file information every time. I just need to have to complete basic Caption informations with the names of the players. (The same thing that I do with my MacBook but It would be great to be able to do it with the iPad)
I hope I have explained the problem clearly, my english language is not spectacular.
Let me know if you need more information and ask me anything you need to know about other issues or tests with Shuttersnitch. If I can be useful I do it willingly.
Brega

Postby TheBrew » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:04 pm

So the IPTC issue was there before the crashing 4.2.6?

The interesting thing is, that all IPTC info is intact if you pull out the files as they are from ShutterSnitch (via FTP or Dropbox for example) I see all the IPTC data in both Photoshop and Lightroom. So I wonder if the loss is happening while going through the Photos app (it's been known to re-compress photos - but I'm pretty sure it's better now) or inside Lightroom Mobile.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Brega » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 pm

The issue was the same also before the 4.2.6. At that time Shuttersnitch received both the file with and without Canon IPTC information but they were lost arriving in Lightroom. After the 4.2.6 version Shuttersnich crashed. Now works well but IPTC Canon informations get lost.
I also add that even filling out the iptc information directly in Shutterrsnitch they get lost exporting the file in Lightroom.
The strange thing is that when I import in Lightroom Mobile a file previously edited directly in Lightroom Mobile and then saved in Dropbox ... in this case I can see the IPTC informations.
I think that the issue is Lightroom.
Brega

Next

Return to Bugs