Linux Print Server Issue

Bugreports = Bugfixes

Linux Print Server Issue

Postby egonschurter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 am

For my DNP DS-40 printer a managed to set up an airprint server using cups, gutenprint driver and avahi.
It all works fine as long as I print/send from OSX or iOS photos app.
Printing out of shuttersnitch doesn't work yet as the print job ends up in error message "Wrong media loaded (300 vs 1)" in cups web gui.
No matter if setting "iOS manages print format" is ON or OFF.
Anybody with a solution to this?
egonschurter

Re: Linux Print Server Issue

Postby TheBrew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:17 am

Does it work if you tap and hold the photo in the filmstrip, then pick ‘Share’ and then print from there?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby egonschurter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 am

Yes, this procedure works fine.
Unfortunately this is not an option as I use ShutterSnitch as kiosk. I cannot instruct people to print like this.
Do you see a possibility to make it work from inside shuttersnitch?

BTW the exact error message in CUPS jobs list is: "Incorrect media for job loaded (300 vs 1)"
egonschurter

Postby egonschurter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 am

I think it's problem of gutenprint driver. Found the error message in https://fossies.org/linux/gutenprint/src/cups/backend_dnpds40.c line 1595.
The job doesn't pass the "Sanity-check type vs loaded media".
Apparently there's a problem with "multicut". Are you familiar with this type?

Thanks.
egonschurter

Postby TheBrew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:12 am

It sounds like a paper-format issue.

In my code I use iOS's "bestPaperForPageSize" function - but I wonder if I can just *not* use it and then perhaps iOS will just go with what it thinks is the best (probably what it does when you print via the Share sheet / from other apps).

Would you be interested in trying out a test version of ShutterSnitch where I've turned that format-selection off? (It involves me getting the unique identifier for your iOS device and registering it as a 'test device'. If you're not in a hurry, you can also just wait for version 4.7.9 which will go on the App Store as soon as Apple opens up for submitting iOS 13 ready apps. A few weeks from now I think..)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby egonschurter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 am

I would absolutely prefer the test version way as I am a bit in a hurry for a solution.
Is it safe to print the the UDID here or should I send it by private message / email?

Thank you so much.
egonschurter

Postby TheBrew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:49 am

Alright, I’ll email you when I get home in about an hour!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby egonschurter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm

It works well with the test version you sent me today. Thanks a lot.
Could you possibly include this format-selection-off in the next update? That would be so great.

Pictures are actually processed very fast on that raspberry pi. The DNP DS-40 printer starts printing two or three seconds after the print job is sent.
The print results from the gutenprint driver look great. Actually much better than with the original DNP printer driver on OS X.
egonschurter

Postby TheBrew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks for confirming - and yes, the way it works in the version you got will be the official way.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby egonschurter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:47 am

Do you have an estimate on when the new official update will be available?
Sorry to stress, but I need to install it on another iPad by this saturday September 7 latest.

Thanks.
egonschurter

Next

Return to Bugs