X Pro 2 Average transfer times? (New user)

Help and ask for help on Fujifilm cameras with built-in Wi-Fi

X Pro 2 Average transfer times? (New user)

Postby Fritz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Hey all, I'm in the trial period of Shutter Snitch on a new iPad 7th gen with 128Gb. In the past, I have used Fuji's Camera Remote and also Canon for the Canon's in my kit, and have a few EyeFi cards lying around.

I must be doing something wrong -- my transfer times using either browse or push from the camera for jpegs are running between 30 seconds and 90 seconds for each one from the XPro2. I can't believe this is typical based on all I read, but let me know if it is. For testing, I have fewer than 10 photos on the card

By comparison, the same camera and files, using the Fuji app transfer in 6-ish seconds.

The jpegs are Large Normal and are in the 6 mb size range.

By comparison, on the same Ipad, jpegs from my Canon 5D IV pop over in a flash of a couple of seconds. Those files are also about 6 mb in size?

What's your typical transfer time and could I have missed a step in set up?

Fritz
Fritz

Re: X Pro 2 Average transfer times? (New user)

Postby TheBrew » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Yeah, that does not sound right. It should be going at the same speed as the Fujifilm app (and as your 5D transfers).

Could you try going into the ShutterSnitch settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and turn on 'Traffic Inspector'? That'll pop up a log window when you enter a collection. Then connect to your camera, transfer a photo, and then copy the log and paste it here. Maybe I can spot something in there that explains it.

ShutterSnitch supports a lot of camera transfer protocols and sometimes having two different camera receivers on at the same time can cause conflicting communications. Maybe that could be the issue here.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Fritz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

To be safe, I turned off the other camera receivers in ShutterSnitch.

Here is the transmit log, I pushed 3 photos from the camera.

10:25:48.952 ShutterSnitch v4.7.15 (45923) User since build 45923
Device: iPad7,11, 64-bit, iOS 13.3
In-App Purchases: Latest subscription expiration/renewal date: Dec 22, 2019 at 9:18:00 AM
Free memory: 429,555,712
Free disk space: 107,777,138,688
Time: Dec 16, 2019 at 10:25:48 AM
IP: 192.168.226.2
FTP port: 26000
WebDAV port: 8080
Eye-Fi: Disabled (3 cards + non-pro-mobi)
PTP/IP: Disabled
Transcend Wi-Fi card transfers: Disabled
Toshiba FlashAir transfers: Disabled
ezShare transfers: Disabled
PQI Air / Air Direct transfers: Disabled
GoPro transfers: Disabled
Panasonic LUMIX LINK transfers: Disabled
Sony DLNA transfers: Disabled
Canon UPnP transfers: Disabled
Fujifilm transfers: Enabled
10:25:48.956 Listening…
10:25:48.958 Starting services
10:25:50.065 Started WebDAV server on port 8080
10:25:50.082 Fujifilm PTP/IP: Marco?
10:25:50.088 Fujifilm PTP/IP: Connecting to 192.168.0.1:55740
10:25:50.114 Fujifilm PTP/IP: Connected to X-Pro2@192.168.0.1:55740 Device Properties: (null)
4d336c93e953becb3a5443163bba18a9
Fritz

Postby TheBrew » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks. No trace of issues there.

I was charging my X-T2 battery while I posted my question. It's charged now so I've had some time to test a little.

Using the camera's built-in wi-fi is slow/intermittently "ok" for me too. But if I shoot using wi-fi tethering it's transmitting as fast as I'd expect.

Diving deeper, I can see that when it transfers via the built-in wi-fi it sends very small data-packets, and the periodic stalls are when ShutterSnitch is waiting for the next packet. Via tethering it just flies.

I don't have the Fujifilm app installed here, but I'm wondering - are the speedy transfers you see to it actually the *original* 6MB files? Some camera apps just gets smaller versions ("why would users want those big files on their phones? let's save some space and look speedy!"). (Not shaming Fujifilm here, they could very well be transferring the whole file - I've just seen the small-file trick too many times.. ;)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Fritz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi and again thank you for the rapid reply.

So my experience is also like yours, if I switch to tethering, the photos transfer fairly quick. So now to read the manual on the Fuji site. The solution I need is to be able to send some images from a shoot of 100 + images, not every image.

So what I think I understand is to push or browse, the transfer times will be slow but I have options on which images to transfer...

or

to tether is quicker, but it transfer every photo as taken?

Is there away like the older EyeFi Pro card that only transfers the images you "mark" in camera while tethering?

Fritz
Fritz

Postby TheBrew » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Not that I know of, sorry. :/
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Fritz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:33 pm

For other Xpro 2 users out there, too. I just learned that if you are in shooting mode with the camera, pressing the wifi button puts the camera in the configuration for use by the Fuji App or ShutterSnitch.

If you are in Playback mode, and hold the wifi button a few seconds it opens in PC AUTO SAVE mode, and in the ShutterSnitch collection, a browse window opens with grey squares and the file numbers where normally thumbnails would appear. and I can pick and choose files by name only (thumbnails would be great) and the load time. The transfer is slow --- 38 seconds on my test image, similar to the normal browse function.
Fritz

Postby photog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Fritz wrote:For other Xpro 2 users out there, too. I just learned that if you are in shooting mode with the camera, pressing the wifi button puts the camera in the configuration for use by the Fuji App or ShutterSnitch.

If you are in Playback mode, and hold the wifi button a few seconds it opens in PC AUTO SAVE mode, and in the ShutterSnitch collection, a browse window opens with grey squares and the file numbers where normally thumbnails would appear. and I can pick and choose files by name only (thumbnails would be great) and the load time. The transfer is slow --- 38 seconds on my test image, similar to the normal browse function.

@Fritz: I have to press the FN Button to open the PC AUTO SAVE button in Playback mode. What are your settings to enable the wifi button ?

Furthermore I can see thumbnails.

-Thank you
photog

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm

@photog.... so sorry for the delay getting back here, I missed your post and question. I think I mis spoke when I said WiFi button, what I meant was the button assigned to WiFi on the pro 2. I gave up on the Fuji WiFi and put in an older Eye-Fi pro card with better luck. Now I’m in search of a few other WiFi enabled cards for my other Fuji’s.
Fritz

Postby photog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 am

Yes, I like Eyefi Pro too. I can receive tagged files ad hoc, but is it possible to transfer sibling .wav files ?

-Oryk
photog

Return to Fujifilm Wi-Fi