DROPBOX and SHUTTERSNITCH - Automatically Uploading

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

DROPBOX and SHUTTERSNITCH - Automatically Uploading

Postby BruceFoster » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:43 am

Hi

I do event photography and am trying to find a way to send photos to the cloud while 'in the field', so they can be automatically downloaded onto a computer to be purchased and printed.

By example, I have a couple of charity obsael's booked where I will be half way down the building with my camera.

I recently bought the Nikon Z6ii and shutter-snitch communicates with its built-in WiFi no problems.

The trouble is, that an iPhone won't use its Mobile Data connection while connected to the camera's WiFi, so the DropBox app can not send the photos upto the cloud without stopping the photography.

This is just too fiddly while doing most jobs.

Soo, is there a way around this.

I did buy a camera adaptor and try physically tethering to a phone.
The connection is decent and you can manually import the photos.
However, you can not automatically import photos as they are taken.

Also, Dropbox only synch's when it is running at the main 'up front' application, it doesn't work properly in the background.
The spec says it can, but it cant.

I have tried snapbridge (which is much better now) to connect the camera via bluetooth.
This is actually really reliable, but the files are drastically reduced in size, so it's not practical for printing or selling the photos.

I did think about suggesting old-fashioned cable tethering as a feature, but can't find any contact details to make the feature request.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Bruce
BruceFoster

Re: DROPBOX and SHUTTERSNITCH - Automatically Uploading

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:42 am

Are you a subscriber or did you buy the app before it became subscription based?

I’m pretty sure I added support for using the mobile connection while connected ad-hoc to a camera (for services that support it, Dropbox being one of them) - but as a subscription feature. (I’m not at my computer right now so I can’t verify..)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Yeah, subscriber feature added a few years ago.

I was about to test if it's broken since then, but *both* the batteries in my Nikon and Cameras are dead.. So they're charging now.. :) Will be back when I know more.

Update: Can confirm it still works. And just to clear something up: The Dropbox app is not used for Dropbox uploads initiated from Actions (or 'Other Location' exports). ShutterSnitch talks directly to the Dropbox upload server, not the app. It would work even with the app uninstalled.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby BruceFoster » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi

I let my subscription expire, but re-subscribed earlier this week and re-downloaded the app.

Thanks

Bruce
BruceFoster

Postby BruceFoster » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Hi, Thanks

So is there a way to use mobile data to upload to DropBox (or something else) while using the WiFi to connect to the camera ?

Even with WiFi assist on, I seem to be having problems with that.

I am currently testing a FlashAir, which seems to have an option to by-pass this problem, but the DropBox app is glitchy.

Thanks

Bruce
BruceFoster

Postby BruceFoster » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:18 pm

OK, thanks

I found what you are talking about.

It does seem to work rather well.

This is asking a lot, but is there a way to move the successful photos to one area and the failed ones somewhere else.

Just so you can see what is left to transmit and what you might need to manually transmit.

Thanks by the way.

That was really helpful.

Bruce
BruceFoster

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:33 pm

The app has to support it. So the app developer has to put in some work to actually route the data correctly using the API Apple makes available.
That’s why it’s a subscription feature in ShutterSnitch - I had to spend quite some time to make it work. :)

If you check out the Action you’ve set up to upload to Dropbox, you’ll see there are options to perform an additional action on fail and success. You could add two new actions, one that moves the file to an “uploaded” collection and one that moves to a “failed uploads” collection. And assign them accordingly in the upload Action.
If that’s too much “moving around” you could go with color-tags instead and have actions that just color-tag green for uploaded and red for failed-to-upload. Eventually you could enter selection mode, select all, and then perform an Action that only uploads files with the red tag. (If you’re a file purist, don’t worry, tagging doesn’t change the file itself.)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby BruceFoster » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi,

Thanks.

It's currently only coming up with Do-Nothing or copy to Camera Roll on what-to-do on success / fail.

Bruce
BruceFoster

Postby BruceFoster » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:23 pm

BTW, not trying to be super-fussy, but I might as well try and fine tune my workflow now.

I appreciate the help.

For what it's worth, a lightning cable Synch option might be a handy feature as well, but I am not sure how much work that is.

Bruce
BruceFoster

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Create the actions and they’ll show up in the failure/success options.

No wires in ShutterSnitch World, sorry.
TheBrew
The Developer

Next

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi