My last Eye-Fi card just unalived... now what?

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

My last Eye-Fi card just unalived... now what?

Postby Ranger 9 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:44 am

Hi, I've been using ShutterSnitch since 2010 and just (last month) paid another year of subscription, so I hope I can ask a fairly detailed question!...

For years I had a GREAT system in place that depended on ShutterSnitch, an iPad, and an Eye-Fi card. I could shoot photos with my Fujifilm camera, save the raw files on one card, and have an Eye-Fi card in the other slot push low-resolution JPEGs to my iPad as I shot. At any point I could hand the iPad to a subject or client to evaluate the shots and mark their favorites with the ShutterSnitch star ratings. If desired I could send off some quick email images or post them onto my SmugMug account from within ShutterSnitch. Later I would import the raw files into Lightroom and use the Snitch Sync plug-in to transfer my ShutterSnitch star ratings to the Lightroom files. Barring occasional janky wifi, the workflow was basically perfect.

Now, though, my last Eye-Fi card (a 32gb MobiPro) just keeled over dead -- none of my cameras recognize it and none of my cameras or computers will reformat it. So it goes into my box of dead Eye-Fi cards, mostly the older orange ones that either failed electrically or broke. The Eye-Fi company, of course, is extinct. Meanwhile, my two Transcend WiFI SD cards died years ago, and Transcend no longer supports that product line. I see it would be still possible to get Toshiba FlashAir cards on eBay if I were willing to pay $500 for one, but I'm skeptical about the viability of that option.

My current cameras -- a Fujifilm X-H2 and an Olympus Pen F -- both have built-in wifi, and the X-H2 also has Bluetooth. Both claim to have extensive connectivity options. But I can't get either of them to push JPEGs to my iPad as I shoot (the X-H2 claims to do this via "wireless tethering", but that has so many issues -- such as not being able to save files to memory cards, resetting file numbers for every session, etc. -- that it's not really practical.)

Do you know of ANY system or setup that would let me get back to the simple, effective workflow I used to enjoy -- pushing JPEGs to ShutterSnitch on iPad, saving raws to internal storage, syncing ratings to Lightroom later -- without having to rely on SD cards from extinct manufacturers with dubious support? Thanks in advance for ANY info!

PS -- You'd have been gratified earlier this week to see how disappointed a longtime client was when I did a big session for her, but had to tell her I could no longer hand her the iPad and let her direct the session and choose favorites... she had gotten to be quite a ShutterSnitch expert over the years and really missed having that capability!
Ranger 9

Re: My last Eye-Fi card just unalived... now what?

Postby TheBrew » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:51 am

Ranger 9 wrote:Hi, I've been using ShutterSnitch since 2010 and just (last month) paid another year of subscription, so I hope I can ask a fairly detailed question!...

13 years! Thanks for sticking around for so long :) And thanks for supporting me by subscribing! I can honestly say I wouldn't be here if I hadn't changed to subscriptions..

Ranger 9 wrote:Do you know of ANY system or setup that would let me get back to the simple, effective workflow I used to enjoy -- pushing JPEGs to ShutterSnitch on iPad, saving raws to internal storage, syncing ratings to Lightroom later -- without having to rely on SD cards from extinct manufacturers with dubious support? Thanks in advance for ANY info!

I believe the EZ Share cards are still available, so you could try getting one of those - and if it works, 10 more as backup..!

Other than that, I know this is a crazy "solution": ..a different camera brand? Yeah, I know, but if Fujifilm hardware doesn't offer the ability you need, the only real solution is a camera that does. My preferred camera these days is a Sony A7IV. And that supports tethered shooting + saving to SD card. So do the high end Canons and Nikons.
But yes, I know, that's a hell of a leap. Having to buy new lenses too and getting used to how everything works on a different brand. I just don't know what else to suggest. :(
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ranger 9 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:36 am

TheBrew wrote:Other than that, I know this is a crazy "solution": ..a different camera brand? Yeah, I know, but if Fujifilm hardware doesn't offer the ability you need, the only real solution is a camera that does.

I don't know that it would make sense to change systems JUST to get wireless that will push files as I shoot... but if I do decide to change systems, that certainly would be a factor I'd want to consider!

So, would you say that Sony, Canon and Nikon are the top contenders when it comes to wireless support? Are there any others worth considering as well? Are external solutions such as the CamRanger worth the investment?

It just seems kind of nutty that today's technology can't let me get back to the functionality I had in 2010! Thanks for any info...
Ranger 9

Postby TheBrew » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:44 am

I would want to limit the stuff I need to get things going. I just want to turn my camera on, open ShutterSnitch and take photos. So wouldn't even consider other hardware (but that's me, and I can see how it's needed in some situations I never find myself in - at a packed stadium for example..).

Sony's my favorite at the moment. Turn it on, it joins my wi-fi and looks for ShutterSnitch. Rock solid all the time. And transfers are super fast.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ranger 9 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:17 am

TheBrew wrote:I would want to limit the stuff I need to get things going. I just want to turn my camera on, open ShutterSnitch and take photos.

My sentiments exactly. I'll keep this in mind if I find myself in the market for a new camera. Meanwhile, I just ordered an EZ Share card on eBay (Amazon no longer lists them) and hope that works as a stopgap.
Ranger 9

Postby Mint137 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:49 pm

Ranger 9 wrote:My sentiments exactly. I'll keep this in mind if I find myself in the market for a new camera. Meanwhile, I just ordered an EZ Share card on eBay (Amazon no longer lists them) and hope that works as a stopgap.

Hello, I'm afraid I will eventually run into the same issue with my only EyeFi card. Did you ever get a chance to see if the EZ Share card works and what is your experience with it been so far?

I'm just a hobbyist so really I don't want to invest too much into all new equipment and cameras. Running still on a Nikon D3s, which is right before Nikon decided that they were okay with actually putting wifi in their professional cameras.
Mint137

Return to Other Questions