Simple question: Shuttersnitch WiFi vs 5G connectivity

Questions that don't fit into any of the other categories

Simple question: Shuttersnitch WiFi vs 5G connectivity

Postby WaldenKirsch » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:02 pm

I'm a news photographer and Shuttersnitch is a dream:)
I have my system configured perfectly...it works like a champ.
Nikon Z7 + iPhone13 Pro + Shuttersnitch >> FTP up the cloud (Photoshelter).
As I shoot, i "protect" the images from a Z7 button-press I want to send to my news desk, and within a few seconds they're there. All good so far.
Here's the issue. Not sure if there's a resolution.
I currently move photo files from Z7>IOS device> Shuttersnitch app via peer-to-peer WiFi, then the IOS device takes over and uploads to the cloud via 5G.
However, when I'm at a corporate event and there are 1,000 people in the room, many/most with mobile devices on 5G, my 5G photo uploads take forever...or simply halt:( Or Shuttersnitch closes.
I -do- generally have access to a closed non-public WiFi network at these events on which there are very few users and plenty of bandwidth.
Question: is there any way to configure (or hack) my IOS/Shuttersnitch system to allow concurrent WiFi connectivity for --both-- camera>IOS --and-- internet connectivity for the leg IOS>cloud?
Just for the record: Nikon does not offer direct-from-the-camera FTP upload functionality.
Thanks for any clever potential solutions!

WaldenKirsch

Re: Simple question: Shuttersnitch WiFi vs 5G connectivity

Postby TheBrew » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:44 pm

It is possible to add an extra network interface using the USB-C / lightning port on your phone and then use that for the exports.

Easy if you have access to an RJ45 network cable at the event and don’t need to move around, but I assume you want to be wireless.. and in that case I ..think.. it would be possible with just the right adapters: USB-C RJ45 from the phone to a mobile access point / router that can be set up as a bridge between the wi-fi at the event and the RJ45 port(s) on the mobile access point. Very nerdy and possibly a bit complicated when moving between events. The details will be very specific to the hardware, so you’ll probably gonna need access to “the it-geek” closest to you. :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby WaldenKirsch » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:47 pm

thanks very much TheBrew for the quick and detailed reply. much appreciated.
i was secretly hoping there might be a "You dunce. RTFM." answer... but clearly not.
since i do need to be untethered...fully wireless on my news shoots...
i'll stick with my hybrid wifi-5G solution for now.
thanks again for your help...and for developing an outstanding app:)
WaldenKirsch

Postby TheBrew » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:02 pm

Thanks! :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it on The App Store, Toot about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:08 am

Just in case you've had it with your 5G connection drop issues and you're ready to take the jump..

I looked into the available options - and found one that was just so ridiculously cheap I had to try it out. And it works, here's what you'd need (assuming you have a newer iPhone with USB-C):

* TP-Link UE300C USB Type-C to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
* TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless N Nano Router
* USB Battery Pack capable of supplying at least 5W (1 Amp at 5V) ..which is most of them I think.
* A paperclip or something else with pointy-pokey-capabilities.

The router is super tiny! 6x6x2cm, weighs nothing. The battery is probably the largest/heaviest part of all this.

Setup:

* Attach the battery pack to the TL-WR802N. Stick a paperclip in the Reset-hole and hold it there for ~10 seconds until you can see the router reacting to it.
* A short while later you can join the router wi-fi and go through the guide. Pick 'Client' mode and then select the wi-fi network you want to use instead of the 5G.
* Connect the Ethernet adapter to your iPhone and the router.

* You only need to do this once: Open the Settings app and you should now see an 'Ethernet' option right beneath the usual 'Wi-Fi' option. Tap it and tap the name of the ethernet adapter. If things are working, you'll see that the adapter has gotten an IP address assigned to it. 192.168..something. Make a mental note of the 'IP Address'.
Open ShutterSnitch and go edit the FTP location you've set up to export your files. Tap 'Route' and pick the 'Static' option. You should see a list of available ethernet interfaces - and one of them will have that IP Address. Tap it to make sure transfers go through it instead of your 5G.

That should be it. Now connect to your camera as you're used to and when photos are transferred they should go through the router and local wi-fi.

When you go to a different place and have to change to a new local wi-fi network, whip out your paperclip, reset, join the router-wi-fi and re-do the setup guide to join their wi-fi.

This will also work with an iPad.

Totally understand if you find this too fiddly and complicated, but I just thought I'd share! :)

Update: There’s a chance you don’t even need to set up the Static Route stuff - I bet iOS actually just prefers sending stuff through any Ethernet connection that has internet access over using the cellular connection. I never tested that and now I’ve taken down my whole setup.. Doh.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby WaldenKirsch » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm

whoa! just saw this TheBrew... your DIY gear setup for IOS WiFi network connectivity.
this is outstanding...
i'll investigate and try this out.
thank you very much for your guidance!
w.
WaldenKirsch

Return to Other Questions