GPS tagging - auto on-off

Suggest away - maybe I'll like the idea :)

GPS tagging - auto on-off

Postby bophoto » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 am

OK so I figure out in my head how this could work.

I want GEO Tagging on "live" shots, but not if I come home and turn on the iPad and it fetches a bunch of shots done earlier in the day, since the current location probably do not match the photography location.

Originally I was asking for a pop up menu asking me "tag this session?" at start when I enter a collection...

BUT - I was wrong and now I realize that there is a sexier way to know when things was done.. maybe, Im thinking the EyeFI card must know when the card time is / when the file was saved..? IF it does know this, ShutterSnitch might be able to figure out if the images was taken inside xx minutes, and only apply a geotag if the images was captured inside a pre-defined time frame. If the card is aware of time, then that would also solve the problem with GPS tracks and camera time miss-match because one might be able to figure out the camera-time offset based on talking with the EyeFI card.?

So two feature wishes.

1 auto geotag on-off

2 Using knowledge of camera time offset from card to synchronize with a GPS trail captured even if the camera was not connected to the iPad at the time of capture, as long as ShutterSnitch was turned on at the time. :-)

As always - thank you for a awesome application.

Bo
bophoto

Re: GPS tagging - auto on-off

Postby TheBrew » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Bo,

Good point(s) - will have a look at it :)
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Im thinking the EyeFI card must know when the card time is

Sorry, but nope. The card does not have it's own power supply so if the camera is off so is the card and the card never has any idea what time, or even day, it is. The closest to this I can think of WOULD rely on the camera's time and date, as that info is written into the EXIF of the image. As you pointed out that can cause issues if the camera time and date are not set correctly (but that's not hard to fix and check).
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby TheBrew » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Yup, the solution would be to go with the metadata.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Patrickostertag » Tue May 10, 2011 1:18 pm

It is a good idea.

I have a question. It is possible to geotag pictures only if it doesn't have geodata already ? Or on a selected exif model of camera. One of mine is a Sony hx5v that has GPS and tag pics.
Patrickostertag

Postby TheBrew » Tue May 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Not currently, sorry, but I have "Card specific actions" on my interesting-todos-list.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Patrickostertag » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Cool! This makes me happy
Patrickostertag

Return to Feature suggestions