Connection lost between WFT-4IIA and Ipad2

Help and ask for help on your Canon wireless file transmitter

Connection lost between WFT-4IIA and Ipad2

Postby ekphoto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 pm

I have a Canon 5D mk2 with a WFT-E4IIA transmitter sending images to a Ipad2. I have the FTP setup to only send the jpeg file to the ipad2 and save raw file to the card in the camera. Everything works fine for the first few exposures. Then after a short pause, the connection is lost. Please help.
ekphoto

Re: Connection lost between WFT-4IIA and Ipad2

Postby MadDawgJ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 pm

A couple of questions about your setup:
What are you using for the network for the iPad and WFT?
Is the iPad staying awake and active or is it going to sleep?
About how long is the short pause that causes this?
Does ShutterSnitch still show listening info?

Let us know so we can help out.
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby ekphoto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm

I am using an adhoc network created by the WFT. The Ipad is not going to sleep. Once I have a connection, I take say, 5 frames to see that everything is working and it is. The green status light on the WFT goes out, which means I have a connection and waiting for the next transfer. Then in less than a minute, when I shoot the next frame, the status light blinks and continues to blink and no files are transferred to the Ipad. If I go to the wft menu on the camera, it says that files are being transferred, but no files are transferred. I use the wft all the time to transfer files to my laptop, using the same ftp method and never have a problem. As for ShutterSnitch showing listening info, I will have to check this later this evening.
ekphoto

Postby TheBrew » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Is there another wifi network around that the iPad could be joining in the meantime?

I'm thinking if the WFT is trying to save power and goes on stand by, the iPad would go searching for another network. Once it's on a steady network it'll stay there.

What do you have to do, to get it working again?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ekphoto » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Yes there is another wifi network in this location, but the Ipad did not try and connect to it. ShutterSnitch still shows the listening info as connected. In order to connect again, I have to reboot the camera and the ipad. I tried again this morning and everything was working perfectly for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then the green light began to blink on the wft and nothing was being transferred even though it looks like I still have a connection. ShutterSnitch says that I am still connected and the Ipad says I am still connected to the Adhoc network from the wft. I uploaded the latest firmware for my 5d and wft, but still have the same problem. I don't know how this helps diagnose the problem, but when this problem happens, my ipad will not connect back to my normal wifi without rebooting my router. Normally if I change back to my wifi, the connection is made without asking for a password, but after the problem in question, I am asked for the password and when I enter the correct password, I get a incorrect password message. The only way I can reconnect to my wifi is to reboot the router. Any thoughts?
ekphoto

Postby TheBrew » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 pm

OK, then we can at least rule out ShutterSnitch (since apps can't touch that part of the system).

Strange that you need to reboot a device that is never part of "the circuit" to be able to reconnect to it..

Sounds like either the network services are wacky on your iPad or you have wifi problems outside of the iPad. You wouldn't by any chance have access to another iDevice that you could test with?

My usual question in these cases: is the iPad jailbroken?

Maybe resetting the network settings could fix it (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings). Or perhaps a fresh reinstall of the iPad (I know, last option - and sucks if that's not the solution).
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ekphoto » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:34 pm

I tried to connect using my ipod and had the same problem. I reset the network settings on both my ipad and ipod and still the same problem. And my ipad is NOT jail-broken. This problem happened two other times while I was shooting on location, so I don't think it is my wifi network. I have been using the wft for about 6 months shooting into my laptop without a single problem. It would be better on some jobs to shoot into the ipad, if I could get it working.
ekphoto

Postby TheBrew » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

ekphoto wrote:I tried to connect using my ipod and had the same problem. I reset the network settings on both my ipad and ipod and still the same problem.

Does this mean that you tested with ShutterSnitch on your iPod and transferring via the WFT adhoc network, and it failed or do you mean that you tried to join the wireless network with your iPod but it only worked when you reset the router?

A thought: you're not using passive FTP mode from your WFT, are you? If so, turn that off and see how that works for you.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ekphoto » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:03 pm

I have the passive ftp disabled. I could not get Shuttersnitch to with my ipod and when I tried to reconnect to my wifi network, I was forced to reboot my router.
ekphoto

Postby MadDawgJ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 pm

First, out of curiosity, what is the name of your home network and what is the name of the WFT's network?

To confirm:
You set up ShutterSnitch and WFT
Start shooting
Pictures transfer over fine
You take a break from shooting
(WFT probably stops deploying the ad-hoc network)
Start shooting again
WFT shows transfering no no images are recieved
ShutterSnitch still shows it is listening and is on ad-hoc network

Is that all correct? Are you verifing that the iPad is on the Ad-Hoc network (going into settings and looking at the name of the network not just that it shows a wifi connection)? Is the iPad set to use static IP addresses on the ad-hoc network so that it keeps using the one set as the target destination in the WFT rather than get a new IP when it reconnects to the network?
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Canon WFT / EOS 6D/70D/760D/M3/R / PowerShot wi-fi