Setting up your connection

Help and ask for help on your Nikon wireless file transmitter

Setting up your connection

Postby TheBrew » Wed May 05, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm not the lucky owner of Nikon equipment - but perhaps someone out there could post a how-to for their WT?
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Re: Setting up your connection

Postby Ranger 9 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 am

I have a WT4a and have set it up successfully to work with my home and office FTP servers and ad-hoc with my laptop. But so far I haven't been able to figure out how to configure it for ShutterSnitch.

ShutterSnitch does work with my Eye-Fi card, so I know the app is okay.

The WT4a connects correctly to my router. The error messages I get from the WT4a say the errors are in the FTP settings. The settings available on the menu are:

-- Address: I set this to the listening address that ShutterSnitch shows.

-- Folder: I don't know what to set for this. I have tried leaving it blank, setting it to the collection name, and setting it to / ( root level.)

-- Port: I set this to 26000 per the ShutterSnitch settings.

-- PASV (passive) mode: I have tried with this checked and unchecked.

-- Anonymous login: I have tried leaving this checked and unchecked. When it is unchecked, there is a space to enter a user ID, for which I enter 'snitch' per the settings. When a user ID is set, there is a space to enter a password. I don't know what to enter here, so I leave it blank.

-- There is an option to use a proxy server; my home network has no proxy server, so I leave this blank.

Can anyone see what would be wrong with these settings? Thanks for any info!
Ranger 9

Postby TheBrew » Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

I talked to a user who has his WT-4 working, so keep at it..

Interesting things to know about the FTP:

The FTP path would be "/" or blank, as you've tried.

Anonymous access is not allowed. You have to use the username which is "snitch" (but can be changed in the Settings app) and password is the password you set up the first time you opened ShutterSnitch (the superuser password).
This would be your problem, if you didn't enter anything in your WT4 setting.

When transferring with PASV mode, ShutterSnitch uses port 26000 - 26500, so these ports have to be open in your firewall / router setup.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ranger 9 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:08 am

Got it! Once I added the superuser password to the Nikon setup screen, it worked fine.

Now that I know where everything goes, I'd say the hardest part of the Nikon setup is entering the data for setting up the wireless connection (which doesn't involve ShutterSnitch at all.) Once you've got your Nikon talking to your WiFi network, setting up ShutterSnitch is easy as long as you understand the basics of FTP setup.

To update and summarize what I posted yesterday, the steps are:

1) Get your Nikon connected to your wireless router by setting up the 'Wireless' and 'TCP/IP' sections of the WT4 menu.

2) Start ShutterSnitch and open a collection so you can see the settings display.

3) Configure the camera's 'FTP' menu for ShutterSnitch by entering:

-- for 'Server Address', the TCP/IP address shown in ShutterSnitch's settings display.
-- for 'Folder', leave blank.
-- for 'Port', 26000.
-- PASV mode checkbox unchecked.
-- Anonymous login checkbox unchecked.
-- For 'User ID', 'snitch' (not in quotes.)
-- for 'Password', the superuser password you entered when setting up ShutterSnitch.
-- for 'Use proxy server', unchecked (I don't know how you'd get your iPad on the other side of a proxy server from your WT4 anyway; if you do know, presumably you also will know how to set it up!)

Once you've finished your camera settings and selected 'Done', you'll see the WT4 status line showing it establishing a wireless connection, then an FTP connection.

Remember to set the camera's quality setting to JPEG or raw+JPEG; if you shoot raw only, there won't be anything for ShutterSnitch to display.
Ranger 9

Postby TheBrew » Fri May 07, 2010 1:19 am

Beautiful :)

Thanks for the guide, Ranger!
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby dlmphotog » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 am

I am using a WT-2a.

I have the wifi talking with the ipad from the camera but when It goes to the FTP mode the shuttersnitch program closes abruptly and I get a FTP error on the D2x camera. I think it is a home folder problem. I have tried different folder options with out luck. Home folder option checked and unchecked, folder left blank, / for folder even /ShutterSnitch and I keep getting "Specific Folder Does Not Exist" error message on the camera.

Please help
dlmphotog

Postby TheBrew » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 am

So you're saying that the program crashes when your WT-2a is trying to connect? That's very interesting - I'd certainly like to find out how this can happen.

Does it say anything about "Receiving .." in the top of the window or does it never reach that part?

The FTP server doesn't have any sub paths, so your home folder would be either blank or "/".

Since it closes abruptly, the iPad should have generated a crash log which will be synchronized when you plug it into iTunes. I don't know what kind of system you're on, but I'll start out with the Mac: Once it's synchronized, try opening the Finder, go to the <your username> folder in the left pane and then browse to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice. There you should find some files with "ShutterSnitch" in the filename. You can attach those in a private message for me --->
And then I'll see if I can find the reason for the crash.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby dlmphotog » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 am

The Brew,

Did you get my PM with the error codes?

Tried working with it again without luck. I see nothing displayed by ShutterSnich before it crashes.

How do you delete empty collections?
dlmphotog

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 am

No private message no :( (update: got it now)

You can delete full collections by, when being logged in as superuser, tapping and holding the collection-thumbnail in the collection overview - you'll get a edit-popover. Check out the (work-in-progress) manual.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Shutrbug » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:59 am

I have a WT-3A. I followed all of the above except for one thing - I was trying to skip my router and just do an AdHoc network. That's how I transfer pics from my D-200 to my laptop. I create a simple Adhoc network on the laptop and I connect the WT-3A to it. It transfers fine, but it does eat battery... but that's another story I guess.

So I tried that and created a new AdHoc network on the camera for the FTP transfer. I kept failing with an FTP error. The only difference between my setup and the previous posts were the parts about the router... so I gave up and typed in the name of my router, and my encryption settings, etc. I had to go back and change the FTP address of course, but after that it connected just fine! Now it's copying pictures as fast as it can.

But not as fast as possible, right? I didn't know there was a WT-4 until I read this. Crap. Gotta start saving money again.... ;-)

Seriously - I have been searching and searching for something to transfer pictures from my D200 and instantly see them since I purchased it. This is exactly it! I've tried portable DVD players with the included video-out cable from the camera... I've tried the Wi-Fi... I've tried slide shows... but this is by far the best option I have found. If there is a way to do an AdHoc network I would love to know how - otherwise I will have to pack a WiFi router when I go to offsite shoots. It will make me look cool, but it's one extra thing to set up. if there is not, then maybe this will help the other poor soul out there who is trying this!
Shutrbug

Next

Return to Nikon WT / WU-1a / WU-1b / Nikon built-in Wi-Fi