Will ShutterSnitch work for me?

Help and ask for help on Eye-Fi related problems

Will ShutterSnitch work for me?

Postby ATJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 am

I have a perhaps different scenario for using wireless transmission of photos from my camera. I would have said unique but I think others may want to do similar.

A lot of my photography is underwater and so my camera (Nikon D7000) is in a housing. I want to be able to get the photos (raw) off the camera without having to take the camera out of the housing. For single dives this will be to get the images off the camera before I've had time to rinse and dismantle the rig. For when I'm doing multiple dives it is so I can get the images off between dives as there's always a risk when assembling the rig.

I shoot raw only.

I've had an Eye-Fi 8GB Pro X2 for a couple of months and it has been working well in the following basic scenario:
* I take the camera on a dive and take lots of images
* When get home, I do a quick rinse of the rig and then plonk it down near my home WAP, turn on the camera and the images get sent to my Mac.
It is not quick because the files are raw, but it still means I have all the images on the Mac and can start processing way before I would if I had to properly rinse and dismantle the rig to get the camera out.

In most cases after a single dive (with a dive club) I go back to the dive shop after the dive and may be there for an hour or so chatting with people. I'd like to change my flow to the following:
* Take the camera on a dive and take lost of photos
* When I get back to the car, start transferring the images from the camera to my iPhone
* Back at the dive shop, I can then review the images I took and show them to my fellow divers. e.g. "Did you see that seahorse? This one..."
* When I get home I then just transfer the images from the iPhone to the Mac. This means I can start working on the rig while the images are transferring. I'd expect it would still take the same time but I don't have to leave the rig sitting there.

Now, the problem with using just the Eye-Fi card in that scenario is that the Eye-Fi iOS app doesn't let me view the raw images. This means I'd have to shoot raw+JPEG and so there's more data to transfer to the iPhone. I can do that but I would like it to be more elegant. If the Eye-Fi system let me send JPEG to the iPhone and raw to the Mac, I'd probably do that. It wouldn't be ideal as I'd still have to transfer the raw images from the camera to the Mac when I get home, but at least I could review the images at the shop.

So down to my question. Will ShutterSnitch help me?

Could I use ShutterSnitch to transfer my raw images from the camera to my iPhone and be able to review them on the iPhone? Could I then transfer the images from the iPhone to the Mac when I get home and if so, what is the process? I'd actually prefer if the transfer from the iPhone to the Mac didn't have to be wireless.

Thanks in advance.
ATJ

Re: Will ShutterSnitch work for me?

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:03 am

What case are you using? Most of them are so thick that you can't transmit through them.

Yes, ShutterSnitch should work fine for you. Since it will display the RAWs you won't have to waste space on the card with the JPGs. Install ShutterSnitch Backup (free in the app store) on your Mac and when you get home just open ShutterSnitch on the iPad and the photos will get transferred to the Mac automatically, the camera doesn't even need to be around so it can be soaking with the rest of your gear.
You've got to find what you love.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ
Contributor Extraordinaire

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 am

P.S. you can also transfer them through iTunes (plugged in), FTP, email, etc. But I like the automatic feature of SSBackup since I can be taking care of the rest of my gear while it's doing it's thing.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ

Postby ATJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:09 am

MadDawgJ wrote:What case are you using? Most of them are so thick that you can't transmit through them.

Ikelite - all acrylic. As per my current scenario, it is already working fine with just Eye-Fi. I would hope using ShutterSnitch wouldn't change that.

MadDawgJ wrote:Yes, ShutterSnitch should work fine for you. Since it will display the RAWs you won't have to waste space on the card with the JPGs. Install ShutterSnitch Backup (free in the app store) on your Mac and when you get home just open ShutterSnitch on the iPad and the photos will get transferred to the Mac automatically, the camera doesn't even need to be around so it can be soaking with the rest of your gear.

So ShutterSnitch has to be open on the iPhone for it to transfer? Is that open in the foreground or can it be "running" in background?

MadDawgJ wrote:P.S. you can also transfer them through iTunes (plugged in), FTP, email, etc. But I like the automatic feature of SSBackup since I can be taking care of the rest of my gear while it's doing it's thing.

Is there a way that it could be treated like a memory card/camera when the iPhone is connected? I like to use Nikon Transfer 2 because it lets me copy to 2 destinations at once.

I guess the alternative is to use ShutterSnitch Backup to send it to my pseudo memory card (an 8GB DMG with the correct directory structure to fool Nikon Transfer) and then run Nikon Transfer from there.
ATJ

Postby ATJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:14 am

Another question or few...

Is it easy to switch from having the images go to ShutterSnitch on my iPhone to going directly the the Mac (as they do now) or going to my Netbook? At the moment it is relatively easy to switch when using just Eye-Fi software alone. When I'm on a liveaboard, I don't need the iPhone interim step.

Is there a way to tell ShutterSnitch Backup to remove the images from the iPhone once they have been transferred? If not, is it easy to select and remove all?
ATJ

Postby MadDawgJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 am

If the card is working now, it will work the same using ShutterSnitch. I've wondered how well an Eye-Fi Card would work in thier cases, the clear acrylic should limit the range but if it's still usable that's good.

So ShutterSnitch has to be open on the iPhone for it to transfer? Is that open in the foreground or can it be "running" in background?

To receive or transmit the images it can be running in the background, you may want to use the new "Backpack Mode" to keep it from getting shut down in the background by iOS.

Is there a way that it could be treated like a memory card/camera when the iPhone is connected? I like to use Nikon Transfer 2 because it lets me copy to 2 destinations at once.

I guess the alternative is to use ShutterSnitch Backup to send it to my pseudo memory card (an 8GB DMG with the correct directory structure to fool Nikon Transfer) and then run Nikon Transfer from there.

No on it acting like a memory card. The DMG should work fine, you should be able to set it as the destination for SSBackup to save yourself one step.

Is it easy to switch from having the images go to ShutterSnitch on my iPhone to going directly the the Mac (as they do now) or going to my Netbook? At the moment it is relatively easy to switch when using just Eye-Fi software alone. When I'm on a liveaboard, I don't need the iPhone interim step.

Yup, just open the Eye-Fi software on the computer and set it as the destination.

Is there a way to tell ShutterSnitch Backup to remove the images from the iPhone once they have been transferred? If not, is it easy to select and remove all?

It's easy to delete the pics out of SS. For your case of shooting RAWs and not needing them on the phone I would just delete the whole collection once uploaded. The delete after backing up would be a good feature request.
-Steve Jobs 1955-2011
MadDawgJ

Postby ATJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:33 am

I bought the software, installed and configured it and it all works how I wanted, except for one thing.

MadDawgJ wrote:No on it acting like a memory card. The DMG should work fine, you should be able to set it as the destination for SSBackup to save yourself one step.

I can set the destination to the DMG but ShutterSnitch Backup adds 2 directories I don't want.

The correct format for Nikon Transfer to work is
>DCIM
>>100D7000
>>>DSC_1234.NEF
>>>DSC_1235.NEF

With ShutterSnitch Backup I end up with
>DCIM
>>100D7000
>>>nnnnnnnnnnn's iPhone
>>>>Collection name
>>>>>DSC_1234.NEF
>>>>>DSC_1235.NEF

Now, I set the collection name to 100D7000 but I'd have to change the name of my iPhone to DCIM and then have ShutterSnitch Backup place the files in the root.

Is there anyway I can stop ShutterSnitch Backup from creating those extra directories?
ATJ

Postby TheBrew » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

Is there anyway I can stop ShutterSnitch Backup from creating those extra directories?

No, but you could set up a folder action on the "../nnnnnnnnnnn's iPhone/Collection name" folder and have an AppleScript copy new files to the DMG "DCIM/100D7000" folder.

Hang on, and I'll put together a script for you!
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby TheBrew » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 am

1. Download this AppleScript and unzip it (if your browser doesn't do it for you).
2. Double click the script - this won't run it, but open it for editing. Now edit the "/Users/me/Pictures" to match path of the DMG folder. Example: "/Volumes/DMGVolumeName/DCIM/100D7000".
3. Cmd+S to save your edits.
4. Open a Finder window and press Shift+Cmd+G and type in /Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ to go to the AppleScripts folder.
5. Drag the CopyNewFilesToFolder.scpt file into the folder and put in your admin password.
6. Using the Finder, go to the "../nnnnnnnnnnn's iPhone" folder and right click (or Ctrl+click) the "Collection name" folder in which ShutterSnitch Backup saves the incoming files. Pick the "Folder Actions Setup..." menu item.
7. In the list that pops up, you should see the CopyNewFilesToFolder script. Pick it and make sure that "Enable Folder Actions" is checked.

And that's it, new files added to that particular folder should now also be copied to your DMG/DCIM/100D7000 folder.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby ATJ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks for that.

I have to working. I would rather it move rather than copy the files. I changed the script to
Code: Select all
         tell application "Finder"
            move theFile to theDestinationFolder
         end tell

but it still leaves a copy of the file behind. What am I missing?
ATJ

Next

Return to Eye-Fi