Feature requests area?

Suggest away - maybe I'll like the idea :)

Feature requests area?

Postby Ranger 9 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Suggestion: This probably should be its own topic area rather than being under the Eye-Fi topic area, since people might have feature requests/suggestions that pertain to transmitters other than Eye-Fi! But since there's no place else for it, I'll put it here...

I've been working with 2ndNature support on an issue with raw files not being sent properly to my iPad via ShutterSnitch. Sometimes only the first one will transfer; other times none will transfer. (This seems to be specific to Eye-Fi, since when I use my Nikon WT-4 transmitter, the raw files do get sent.)

BUT... Doing all this experimenting reminded me that I don't ALWAYS want to transmit the raw files to the iPad. Often I'll want to use ShutterSnitch just to view and discuss the photos with the client or subject. For that, I don't need to have the raw files transmitted; I can always get them off the card later. I just want to see the shots as quickly as possible, and the extra transmission time to send the raw files just slows down the process.

So, the feature request: In some future version of ShutterSnitch, I'd like for the Settings panel to include an option for "Transfer raw files: [on/off]"

-- When set to "On", raw files as well as JPEG files would be sent to ShutterSnitch. ShutterSnitch wouldn't display the raw files, of course, but they'd be stored on the iPhone/iPod/iPad to provide a backup for the files on the memory card.

-- When set to "Off", ShutterSnitch would ignore raw files and receive only the JPEGs. This would allow the fastest possible display of images as you shoot. It also would be good for people who want to shoot in raw+JPEG but don't have a high-capacity iPhone/iPod/iPad; they could have their raw files on the memory card without having them eat up the storage space on their device.
Ranger 9

Re: Feature requests area?

Postby TheBrew » Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Done!

You could just turn RAW transfer off in the transmitter(?) or do you see this as a convenience thing, so it would be easier?

I've been tumbling a little with this. The files-other-than-JPEG.
Sometimes I use ShutterSnitch just to transfer a file from one place to another - kinda like a wireless memory stick.

So. I've been thinking about expanding the filmstrip to show non-JPEG files too. This way everybody wins:

Suddenly RAW files are accessible (although not viewable ..this will be "a bag of hurt" as the big guy said) together with that .doc file you needed to move.

Everybody's thinking "so what" right now, because version 1.1.2 hasn't hit the store yet. In this version, you can edit multiple items in the filmstrip. You pick the item(s) and you can then e-mail or FTP it/them.

To wrap up - I'll see what I can do, and the toggle would probably be "Only accept JPEGs".
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ranger 9 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:23 am

TheBrew wrote:You could just turn RAW transfer off in the transmitter(?) or do you see this as a convenience thing, so it would be easier?

Turning off raw transfer is easy with the Nikon WT4 -- there's a menu choice on the camera to send raw+JPEG or JPEG only. I don't know anything about the Canon transmitters, but assume they're similar. If these were the only transmitters people used, there would be no need for an option in ShutterSnitch.

But... it's not so easy with an EyeFi card. To turn off raw transfer, you have to use Eye-Fi Center. So if you've left your computer at home and just brought your iPhone or iPad with ShutterSnitch, you are stuck. That's when you would need the option in ShutterSnitch.

So. I've been thinking about expanding the filmstrip to show non-JPEG files too. This way everybody wins: Suddenly RAW files are accessible (although not viewable ..this will be "a bag of hurt" as the big guy said) together with that .doc file you needed to move.

The ability to email raw files might be useful, but I don't think you need to go all the way with .doc files etc. There already are apps that can transfer and manage various kinds of files -- GoodReader is one I use, and it's not expensive (currently 99 cents.) So maybe rather than trying to add a lot of document-management features to ShutterSnitch, it would be simpler to use Document Sharing so these functions could be "handed off" to another application...?

This also might be a way to address other feature requests such as full-size JPEGs (GoodReader can do that), image adjustment (FilterStorm) etc. That way we could keep ShutterSnitch as the slim, focused app we know and love :-)

To wrap up - I'll see what I can do, and the toggle would probably be "Only accept JPEGs".

Thank you!
Ranger 9

Postby TheBrew » Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 pm

I just used .doc as an example for "other files" - it won't mean more programming. There won't be any features connected to the different formats, just the possibility to also upload those or attach them to a mail. As you would do with a JPEG.
Support the development of ShutterSnitch: Rate/review it in iTunes, Tweet about it, make Youtube videos, blog about it.. Get the word out.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ikyo » Thu May 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Is there a way currently to import RAW files? I didn't know this software was even around until recently. I was doing everything manually with a background FTP server and some scripting. I would love to see what we can incorporate into it. I would also be more then willing to help test with a Canon WFT grip. I am also planning on picking up an Eye-Fi too.
Ikyo

Postby TheBrew » Fri May 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Ikyo wrote:Is there a way currently to import RAW files?

RAWs are accepted, but not displayed yet. I think the iPad has some built-in RAW processing, but I don't think the iPhone does. I bet it'll be in OS4.0 though. And maybe, if I ask nicely, Apple could open up for this :)

Only problem with RAW is, that it would take much longer to render it. I've always thought of ShutterSnitch as a "quick preview" app. That's why RAW has never been on the top of the todo-list.
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Ikyo » Sat May 15, 2010 4:56 am

That is understandable. With the camera connection kit, it is really pretty quick with it. Hopefully it will be available soon.
Ikyo

Postby mjeppsen » Thu May 20, 2010 5:29 am

Would it be possible to build a simple slideshow function into the viewer? Doesn't need to be fancy cross dissolves, just advance shot to shot on a configurable number of seconds.
mjeppsen

Postby TheBrew » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 pm

mjeppsen wrote:Would it be possible to build a simple slideshow function into the viewer? Doesn't need to be fancy cross dissolves, just advance shot to shot on a configurable number of seconds.

Hm. How did I miss this post?

Anything is possible. I'll add it to my list. :)
TheBrew
The Developer

Postby Chunky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 am

Hi,
I am looking to purchase and just wondered which features had been implemented from the vast list spread around this forum.
The ones specifically I'm interested in are:

1) ftp upload to a website
2) The creation of new folders/sub folders for the images to be uploaded to (e.g. new_event/page1/, new_event/page2/)
3) The ability to allocate the number of images that get placed in each of the sub folders (i will quite often have several hundred images to upload)
4) The ability to set the image size (probably a percentage smaller than original) of the uploading images.
5) Ability to add a watermark to all images uploaded.
6) The ability to tick the images i want uploading and delete the ones that i don't want.

I currently use the iPad with my Olympus E3 (always in RAW), my GoPro HD video camera and the camera connection kit to showcase to clients on site, so having the features above would be a godsend.

The camera connection kit does place all the images in to the apple photo program so can your app also import from Apple's photo app?
Many thanks
Chunky

Next

Return to Feature suggestions